Losing my hair!!!

I am 20 years old and I had my son 16 months ago. The past 6 months or so I have lost A LOT of hair! Everytime I take a shower I have to clean out the drain. When I brush my hair I have to clean it out because of all the hair. Before I started losing it I had really thick hair, and now it's the thinnest it's ever been. Some people have told me that it is because I lost 25 pounds in 4 months. It's really starting to stress me out and starting to worry me...Have any of you ever had this happen at such a young age?

JaydaLott19

Asked by JaydaLott19 at 6:18 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Health

• How many hais are you loosing everyday? a few months ago i was freaked out about my hair i even went the doc then to a different doc is your hair long?you can send me a message on my cafe mom if you want???
    ELLIEAWNA

Answer by ELLIEAWNA at 6:28 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Do you have a lot of stress in your life? It's normal to lose hair after pregnancy, but for me it always stopped long before 16 months. The only other time I remember losing a significant amount of hair was when I was very stressed over my husband's employment situation. If you don't think it could be stress, you should go to the doctor because it could be symptom of something else going on.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 7:48 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• its normal after pregnancy to lose some hair but not in large quantities..
    stress could be a factor too
    I would recommend going to your doctor. I suddenly started losing hair and it turned out to be a medical condition. its probably a good idea to get this checked out to be safe. good luck :)
    Anonymous

• Alopecia (hair loss) has a variety of potential causes. The are basically 3 types: diffuse, focal, and focal loss that involves scarring. I am going to assume that you are experiencing diffuse (general overall loss of hair throughout the head) and not focal (specific defined limited area on the scalp). Diffuse loss can be attributed to imbalance of the endocrine system, such as postpartum fluctuations or perhaps a thyroid imbalance. Also stress, certain nutritional deficiencies, and some drugs (including too much Vitamin A, Retinol, and some oral contraceptives. A good idea to check with your doctor, especially if it has been going on for a while.
    pullinkytink

Answer by pullinkytink at 11:40 PM on Nov. 22, 2008