How would you react to this comment?

I was at Babie's R Us one day about 2 years ago and a grandmother was shopping for her newest grandbaby. She had a registry, looked a little lost, and ready to cry because I once worked retail and there was noone around to help I asked her if she needed help finding something. She looked at me and told me what she was looking for as a tear fell down her face. I asked her what was wrong and she said her DIL was having a baby and that she had made jammies and sleep sacks and the like for her daughters baby earlier but the DIL informed the woman that she didn't homemade stuff or secondhand items or anyone elses "junk" and that if she got anything that wasn't on the registry that she was going to throw it away. I was sad for the grandmother and wanted to slap the DIL for breaking this poor woman's heart. Why would anyone say that to someone who cares so much?

alikat8100

Asked by alikat8100 at 6:19 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I would have cried right along with the woman. What a horrid thing to say to her.

I would have said that I was sorry she was missing out on some priceless items and should feel lucky to have a talented grandma around. I would have then given her a quickie hug and helped her find whatever it was she was looking for.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 9:09 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Unfortunately, not everyone gives a shit. Sadly, all we can do is offer and if someone doesn't want it... Just remember how many more people who are out there that will cherish it.
    Mary_CoreysMom

Answer by Mary_CoreysMom at 6:24 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Because women can be down right bitches!! I love homemade stuff! Both my grandmothers have passed and luckily my cousin's grandmom(on the other side) made my daughter such adorable things! I was so happy to have that considering my own grandmothers werent here to do that. That is horrible for anyone to say that. Even if she thought it she could have kept it to herself! That is just rude!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:24 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• some people are extremely caught up in material items. And how much something cost's means more to them than the effort or love they put into it. I know my mother in law feels that way, and it's sad, because those type of people just end up trying to raise children by buying they're love instead of earning it. And love can't be bought, but that's just the way some people are.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 6:24 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Im going to put this bluntly, Because she is a heartless, selfish Bitch. I would have told a couple local charities she could give them to. Places were people are grateful for what they get.

perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 6:25 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Depends on the situation, my MIL does stuff like that - giving homemade stuff to my kids, because she wants them to be like her daughter (my SIL). But she is vengeful, she always tells me that they will never be as good as their cousins, and they are lower than her, and in public,,,,she doesn't even act like she knows them.
    But in this situation, sounds like the DIL is a bitch and she needs to sit down with her son and tell him how she feels.
    Believe me some people just want to hurt others. God will take care of them in his time!
    ketha04

Answer by ketha04 at 6:26 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• And like the first poster said, someone will cherish it. Even though my daughter may not have worn everything she made for me, I will love, cherish and hold on to them forever!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:26 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I would have cried,with the poor lady,My mom makes stuff for us ,and our kids all the time,I would'nt take nothing for them.One day that ungreatful witch ,will lose her grandma,or mom.and she'll wish she had been nicer.This makes me so mad I could chew up nails,and spit out thumb tacks.Who does she think she is.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 6:27 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Prob bc the dil is just a bitch? Karmas a bigger one so Im sure she will get hers in the end. Id love homeade stuff. Second hand for a shower not so much I think that isnt baby shower appropriate but I had a registry myself and not everything came off it. What a snot.
    Anonymous

• What happened to grace and courtesy?! To be perfectly honest, I don't like a lot of the homemade clothes and blankets, but honest to god until just now I have never said it out loud! I take it with a smile and a thank you and make sure the baby is wearing it the next time they see the relative or have pictures in it. It takes time and care to make those types of gifts...a lot more time and care than it takes to go pick out something...so for someone to be that rude and blunt is just awful!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:36 PM on Nov. 21, 2008