Can You Help Please:Needing Ideas For My Son's First Birthday Cake And Presents

My Son Will Be Turning One In Two Months And My Husband And I Are Trying To Think Of What Kind Of Cake To Get Him And What Kind Of Presents To Get Him What Do One Yr Olds Like Anyway? LOL. Your Answers Would Greatly Appreciated.

mommy2be671

Asked by mommy2be671 at 2:33 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• :) He is turning one......this one is for you and your husband to choose what YOU like. Take advantage of this.....It's the only time it may ever happen!
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:38 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Can you take him to a friend's house, day care, sunday school nursery, etc that has toys appropriate for his age group and see which toys he picks out to play with? As for the cake, Just pick what you and dad like. He won't mind.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• anything w/ wheels. 1st trike? push car? a little tikes slide? something to get wiggles out, for sure!!! and lots of awesome sippy cups to ditch the bottle (if he's a bottle baby)

cake = either something personal/homemade or else whatever character he recognizes (the wiggles, elmo, etc)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Go look at all the birthday plates and pick the one out you want first---then making the decision about the cake will be easier. I do cakes myself and if you give me an idea what the theme is, I could post some ideas for you on the cake itself. Being a boy, you might go with a car or vehicle theme, you can do the cake yourself by making a road a 9 by 13 with brown sugar and putting cars all along---I was just shopping for ideas for my gd's birthday and saw those cute cars they have for that age----they would look adorable on the cake top. and you can buy cake pens that you can actually write on top of the icing with it.
    lecates

Answer by lecates at 2:41 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I always did a one year old birthday theme. You can find plenty at party city's web site. Last year when my granddaughter turned 1 we did this cake:

It was a 10 inch one layer choclate cake with ganash (sp)?, covered in pink fondant. We also did a regular smash cake without fondant in southern pound cake for her. We got all the decorations from Party City and mixed it with a princess theme. As for gifts we got her clothes, some toys she liked, and things like that.

Answer by gemgem at 2:44 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• For our kids first birthday we did teddy bear cakes with number one candle or can do a rocking horse or if like ice cream we do dq cakes and a wide variety to choose from. As for gifts little people was a good one, webbles, color wonder, new clothes, if need new cups or plates for him just for him for snack or dinner time, a new towel for bath time, books, coloring books, big plastic trucks or cars, train set is a good one, floor puzzles, kid bath set for bath time. Just to name a few.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 2:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I made cupcakes (regular old yellow cake mix) and then had fun with frosting and stensils. :) I liked the idea of letting him have his "own" cake. If you are having a party, I've also seen a lot of folks get a big cake for the guests and then a little personal-sized cake for the birthday kid to tear into.

And for gifts, I got him some Legos and puzzles. But his FAVORITE gift from that day was this big blue Tonka truck (the soft kind that makes noises when you squish the "face"). I know they sell it at Target. Another popular idea among our friends is to get one of those red wagons - kids seem to love those for quick trips to the park or around the zoo.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 3:41 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Thanks Everyone For Your Comments And Advice!!
    mommy2be671

Comment by mommy2be671 (original poster) at 4:47 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• we did a spongebob cake and decorations, ds got riding toys, books, a train set, a little table and chairs set for his room and some little people
    tirelessefforts

Answer by tirelessefforts at 4:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2011