1st time skateboard stuff....

my son (6.... 6 1/2 in April) is watching the snow melt and anxious for the weather to be appropriate to try out his first skateboard Santa left him.

Other than a helmet and good sturdy tennis shoes what should he have on? Knee & elbow pads almost don't seem like enough. I know he's going to fall like crazy.

He is very, very tall and has outgrown every scooter on the market.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 2:53 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My son has been skating for over 10 years, and yes, you are right about the pads and helmet he will need. My son won't hardly wear his anymore, but he doesn't skate as much as he used to. If you have a skate park near you, it's a good idea to take him,and let him see some of the better skaters, and get some ideas from them. Most are good about working with new skaters, teaching them simple tricks, things like that. My son is looking at becoming nationally sponsored,there are several companies looking at him. We have already had one pro come out of our local skate park, he is now sponsored by Vans, and just came out with his own skate shoe. That's the other thing. If your son gets really involved in it, it's a VERY expensive hobby. A good board, one that won't crack right away can run up to 200.00, and most want to only wear the skater's shoes and clothes. Check out the website www.ccs.com. Hope he has fun!
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 3:07 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Oh,and as for the falling, unfortunately, it's not a question of IF they will get hurt, it's a question of WHEN. My son has cracked his wrist, broken his foot, cracked ribs, and a slight concussion,but that was because he wasn't wearing his helmet.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2011