What do i do if prenatal vitamins make me sick? Is there anything else i can take?

mom2girliegirls

Asked by mom2girliegirls at 6:42 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Take them at night right before you go to sleep. Works like a charm.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 6:45 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• My friend couldn't take her prenatal vitamins her doctor told her to take children's chewable vitamins. Mine use to make me nauseous, so I started taking them before I go to bed. They don't bother me anymore.

slick05

Answer by slick05 at 6:45 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I agree...take them before bed! I can't take mine in the day or I get sooooo sick. I take them before bed, and if I happen to feel queasy at all before I go to sleep, I keep some saltines handy and they settle my stomach right down.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 6:50 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Ginger is also good for settling your stomach, like ginger ale, ginger snaps. My husband even bought me lolly pops one year that were suppose to help.  And don't take your vitamins on an empty stomach, that is a bad idea.

slick05

Answer by slick05 at 6:52 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• i puked mine up on a daily basis - 2 flinstone chewables, works the same and taste better
    leapyear

Answer by leapyear at 6:58 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• The only problem with taking children's vitamins is you're not getting enough Folate, which you need for a healthy pregnancy. There are a lot of different prenatals. You can find them over the counter and get them from your Ob/Gyn. I would ask to try a different kind. It's not like a prescription drug and you can't shop around for something better.

I ended up on a different one too b/c I kept burping up like a rancid bacon taste on my originals. YUCK!
    tikigoddess

Answer by tikigoddess at 7:01 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I took mine before bed, that was the only way I could keep them down! Otherwise, see about taking a different kind!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 7:03 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• thanks ladies...
    mom2girliegirls

Answer by mom2girliegirls at 7:21 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Two flintstone vitamins. Thats what my OB told me.

Answer by gemgem at 7:29 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• What really worked for me was cutting them in half and taking each half with a good sized meal. It helps to take them with food, so that way the vitamins have something to adsorb in to so that your body can avoid that rapid adsorption that makes us sick. My prenatal vitamin dose is two, so i take my prenatal vitamins four times throughout the day, and it really helps me keep them down. I take all of my other vitamins in the night time, and I never have a problem with those, so the night time strategy could work for you, too. I just like to split up my prenatals because they are super loaded with all sorts of stuff.
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 7:49 PM on Nov. 21, 2008