How many books do you read to your child at bedtime?

Asked by girliemom0406 at 3:03 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• Reading to your child is a wonderful thing! There is so much value in reading and the close time that it creates! Kids often want one more, one more, one more! A helpful thing is to get a basket that is just for bedtime books. You chose the ones that you don't think are too long! Set your rule for what you want and don't ever let make negotiations work or you'll be in for years of begging! Two or three (short ones) are usually just fine. Set you number. Tell your child that they can pick two books from the bedtime basket. If they are asked for one more, just say the rule is two (or whatever number you choose). This eliminates not only negotiation, but them spending a long time choosing books from their vast supply!

Answer by AlisonAstair at 9:25 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I never read books to them at bedtime because I was just too tired. I read books during the day.

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:05 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Entirely depends on the book. If it's a smaller one I'll do 2 or even 3. Now, though, my son is reading a little and knows alot of site words. So reading a book is taking 2x as long. Also it's a privilege they lose if bedtime routine is a hot mess, they don't respect privacy while changing into PJs, etc. ... I always have at least a little one on one reading time with my son, though, during the day no matter what

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:06 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• usually 2-3 but it really depends on the book

Answer by Rachel24517 at 3:10 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• We're still mostly reading boardbooks (Goodnight Moon, etc.) and very short stories (like Red Riding Hood or the The Fuzzy Little Duckling), but we probably average around 7-8 books/night. It usually takes around 20 minutes at night. I also try to read a bit after breakfast, before heading out for the day (goal of around another 20 minutes), but on weekdays if he sleeps in we might have to cut this short or skip it.

Answer by Sebbiemama at 3:30 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• It really depends on the day and what is going on. Usually 3 books.

Answer by sandbuster at 4:11 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I read 1-3 depending on the night but I ALWAYS read to her at night before bed.

Answer by baby1love at 6:30 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Usually 1 or 2. They each get to choose one, but sometimes my eldest doesn't want a book (he reads quite well on his own lol).

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:31 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• None. I never started the bedtime reading thing because I didn't want to get in the habit of doing it every night of my life, forever! Honestly, I rarely read to them. I simply do not have the time to always sit and always read. If anything, my 10 year old reads to the little ones and she does an awesome job.

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 6:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2011