3 year old

can others understand your 3 year old? does he/she know their abc's, simple songs, shapes etc? can they recognize letters and numbers? just trying to see the average of what a 3 year old should know. i know all kids are different.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my son can sing his abcs and other common child songs like twinkle and itsy bitsy. he is just starting to write letters and can recognize all of his capital letters. for the most part everyone can understand him when he speaks and he can count to 20 most times and only 13 others. he is an only child but is surrounded by older kids who i am sure he picked it up from. every child is different so dont be discouraged if your child isnt advanced. as long as he or she is advancing.
    Anonymous

• well in my opinion each child is diffrent and hit milestone at diffrent times
    my own 3yr old does no his abc how to spell his name and knows his numbers and a few other things but he also has an older brothers and older cousins.
    mommyamv

Answer by mommyamv at 7:03 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• At around 3 they start to rapidly develop their speech and vocab. The big thing is reassuring them when they do talk so they know they are saying it right. Once they have that assurance they seem to want to talk more and talking more helps them develop their vocab and our ability to understand them. My two older sons were both speech delayed so there is always a chance that could happen. I wouldnt worry about it much until they are around 3.5 thats when you should really start understanding them and they say the funniest stuff. Like mine shes 3.5 and I tell her to do something and she says "That just doesnt sound like a very good idea".
    Anonymous

• My daughter just turned 3 a few days ago and she knows her abcs, colors, shapes and can recognize her name written. She cannot spell her name yet. But, every child is different and learn at different paces.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 8:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Yea most things she says others can understand. Not to many words are not clear. For the most part they are well said:o) She sings her ABC's but still messes up on the TUV part,lol She knows some letters and Numbers Counts to 13 sometime and 17 other times. She KNows alot of songs now and starting to memorize comercials .. But every child is different and Some are interested in somethings like ABC"S and Numbers and Others want nothing to do with it.
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 8:21 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• My son is 3, and he knows his ABC's, shapes, colours. He can count, but still has a hard time with knowing the numbers by sight, if that's the right way to say it! For the most part, everyone understands him when he talks... we only have a problem with one of our friends who has never been around kids and doesn't really care for them, she can't understand him at all, or so she claims! lol He's almost 4 though, and he's definately improved on everything in the past year. It happens fast!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 11:17 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• google ASQ ages and stage questionaire. it will tell you EXACTLY what most three year olds are doing. (break down every 4 months or so)
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 12:46 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I agree with trepsica - the ASQ (Ages and Stateges Questionnaire) is an excellent resource tool that I highly recommend to every parent!
    pullinkytink

Answer by pullinkytink at 6:47 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• My DD is 4, soon to be five, and she can count to 10, and she knows some of her abc's, she can recognize the letter M because thats the first letter in her name, but she cant write yet. She knows her full name and she knows her parents names but thats about it.
    Mommy_of_two_85

Answer by Mommy_of_two_85 at 11:24 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Others may not understand your child, but let your child excell as fast as he/she wants to and is able to. I yes all kids are different, but if your child shows signs that he/she wants to learn about something dont assume it's too advanced. Let your child make that determination.

That's what I tried on my soon to be six year old, and she is now multiplying (and understands most of it) adding and subtracting off the top of her head, reading me all of her books to me correctly. And she's one year advanced her grade level. Don't hold the education back

sgunn

Answer by sgunn at 2:28 PM on Nov. 22, 2008