• In the Spotlight:

does this disturb anyone else?

In Target today I saw a younger preschool age boy sitting in the cart while his mom checked out. He took a roll of Xmas wrap and pointed it in my direction (if he was aiming for me I don't know, nor do I care) and said "give me all your money" and made shooting noises.

WTF?

What has this kid been watching?!?

Is this disturbing to anyone else?

The mom didn't seem at all phased by it, and unless she was spacing out and not paying attention to her son I don't see how she missed it. The gun noises and request for money were loud enough for me to hear, and I was several feet away. She noticed enough to take the roll from him. If it were my kid though, I would have been in his face making it clear that we don't pretend rob or shoot people.

Would you allow your child to get away with that in public?

PROGENITOR

Asked by PROGENITOR at 6:49 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in General Parenting

• previous posters are right. "Boys will be boys" But if your son was making farting noises in a department store or burping the alphabet as boys love to do without chastisement is that acceptable or okay? I don't think the original poster was trying to say she felt threatened by this little boy. I think she was disturbed by the parents lack of concern for very poor manners. If my son did this I would tell him "robbing people isn't nice and you need to apologize to the nice lady"
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:12 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Boy's play gun games. Always have. he was just playing to me. Not a issue in my book. But every one has their own point of view about things

Answer by louise2 at 6:54 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• She didn't want to acknowledge his bad behavior, is my guess. I probably would've played along, made a pretend siren sound and said, "Okay Mr.Robber,--- this is the cops----you're going to jail!!" Maybe THAT would have gotten Mom's attention.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 6:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Nope wouldnt have disturbed me. I have 3 boys and they do that sometimes and mine dont watch overly violent things. Its like cops and robbers. Theyve been playing that since who knows when?

Answer by gemgem at 7:01 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• It would have bothered me. I guess it just depends on how people want to raise their kids. Some people see it as wrong and some don't. But yeah, I wouldn't let my child get away with that at home or in public.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 7:05 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• There is a difference between playing with other children and pretending to shoot/rob them. Totally different - and rude - to do this to someone in a store.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:07 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I agree with gemgem....I have 2 boys and cops and robbers were the game to play. The robber in the game was always my oldest. Which is funny because he's wanted to be a Police Officer since the age of 4. He's 17 now and still does. Boys will be boys and that Mother in Target was probably used to his boyishness so it more than likely didn't phase her one bit...lol. Don't let it bother you ; )
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 7:07 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I have two boys and they don't pretend playing guns. It's what they are taught or learn from others or see on T.V.. So yes it would have been a bit disturbing. It's not OK to point things at people and do what he did no matter what age. Teach your kids right and they won't do that.

Anonymous

• Right on Anon 4:17! What a concept, to teach your kids how to behave! It is often lost these days. Appethy is a big problem in parenting.
    Anonymous

• I have 2 boys. Rude behavior is not tolerated. Using the excuse of boys will be boys is just that - an excuse.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:32 PM on Nov. 21, 2008