Did Lincoln ACTUALLY want black people to LEAVE?

It's on yahoo today.

I'd never heard of this before-it's awful.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_lincoln_colonization

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 3:17 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Ya know... He's not really alive to ask, but because all I have available to me is history books, I'm going to have to say, No and that to my knowledge Lincoln was a good person who fought for the freedom of all.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:22 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• From the link: "Lincoln even referred to colonization in the preliminary Emancipation Proclamation, his September 1862 warning to the South that he would free all slaves in Southern territory if the rebellion continued. Unlike some others, Lincoln always promoted a voluntary colonization, rather than forcing blacks to leave."

***

"Most of the evidence points to the idea that Lincoln is looking at other ways" to resolve the transition from slavery besides colonization at the end of his presidency, Schwartz said."

Considering the times, I still think Lincoln was forward thinking.  Had he lived longer we might know more about his changing views on this topic.  We can really only speculate.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:26 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Yes he did. I thought that was common knowledge.

At the time, he was called a "nigger lover". By today's standards, he would be a racist.

Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:34 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Lincoln, like most who supported ending slavery, saw it as a political issue, not a moral one. As long as the South had slaves, they could make tons of money by having plantations which gave them no reason to become industrialized like the North was. The ending of slavery was, to them, a way to force the South to industrialize.
    Anonymous

• Lincoln, like most who supported ending slavery, saw it

He saw it as a moral issue. Make no doubt about that. Read his writings and the Lincoln/Douglas debates. But, he was still a man of his times and did not think they were equal to whites. Just that they should not be enslaved.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:24 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• We have an excellent book on Lincoln. I can't remember the name of it and I have packed it already. It was very interesting and had some things I didn't know.!

I knew about the colonization idea though. My college history professor was awesome! He couldn't stand the biased way history is being written. He wrote and published his own textbook for his class. You could check one out from him for the year or buy one for a modest amount...much cheaper than the other college textbooks. The book was fabulous and I ended up buying mine. When my boys get older I intend to sort "reteach" them the classes he taught me.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:20 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Hey, sure, I'd love it, let me know his name please.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 6:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Lincoln was known for wanting to free the slaves, whether it was morals or a political move I'm not sure. He seemed like a honest & caring man regardless of race, from what I've read.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 6:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Yes I knew this. It AMAZES me what is left out of basic education. out of allmy years in school I only had 2 teachers (one in elementary school one in college) teach the FACT that the Civil war was about WAY more than slavery! That that became the issue of spin because ALL states at that time had had slaves. The REAL reason was the much HIGHER TAXES being forced upon the Southern states!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:58 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• This was not a new idea to politicitians in the US in the 1800's. Politicians such as Henry Clay supported this idea over emancipation when Liberia was first established. Clay felt that blacks would never be accepted alongside of whites and this would be a better alternative.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:04 PM on Mar. 6, 2011