What does broke mean to you?

broke = can't buy a gallon of milk til payday?
broke = can't buy the newly released Chanel bag til payday?

It means different things to different people, I am curious about yours.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 3:22 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• When I don't even have enough pennies for a gallon of milk. (which has been very often latley) But I love pixie_trix 's way of thinking.....as long as I can keep faith and hope alive I am NEVER POOR.
    flowerchid72

Answer by flowerchid72 at 4:06 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• It means that I can only afford my bills and groceries, no extras.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 3:23 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• broke to me is when you can't aford to go to the dollar tree to buy a bag of cat food for a 1.00.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:23 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I grew up in poverty so to me broke means you can't pay for food, place to live, clothes for your kids and the light bill. If a person has extra money to afford cellphones, computers, cable, Internet and other wants they are not broke if they find they can't buy food or pay a bill they might be spending their money unwisely.  Many have no concept what being broke or living in poverty really is. I dumpster dived and begged to eat and get clothing as a child. We were homeless often and clean water was what we would have to steal from people who had outdoor faucets. Designer bags and other wants were not even things we thought about.

FricknFrack

Answer by FricknFrack at 3:50 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Broke is not being able to afford groceries, having to sell things or borrow money to pay bills.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 3:27 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• It means I cannot buy everything I want to buy. I may need to borrow money from my parents to make ends meet. That is what broke means to me.

Answer by gemgem at 3:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Broke to me is when you've stretched every dime you had as far as it would go and there isn't another penny left until you get paid again. Flat broke is no money and no means to earn more.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:26 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Me personally.

Broke== The times in my life where I lived off of rice for 3 meals a day.. or.. Counting pennies to buy a loaf of bread.. or.. living off of peanut butter sandwiches until next payday..or..dividing up what little money I had to give each utility bill a little something that month and hope that I didn't get that shut off notice sooner than later....

Those are the types of situations in which I was "broke".. I have been broke many many times during my 48 years on this earth. However, I have never been poor. I've seen poverty, and I'm grateful to say I've never lived in it.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:27 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Broke means you only have enough money to pay bills but can't buy anything extra like a toy for your child b/c he has been good all week.
    becky0829

Answer by becky0829 at 3:37 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• It means that I can't afford to get food in the house til payday or pay the bills on time. Just because you can't afford a luxury until your next paycheck doesn't mean you're broke.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 3:45 PM on Mar. 6, 2011