Is it wrong to have more children while on the welfare system?

My neighbors are constantly talking about how much welfare they are on. They have 6 kids and are trying for another and have been on welfare since the 2and child was born. They gret food stamps, WIC, medicaid and free lunch and breakfast for their school aged children. I understand that the system is there to help people but really, how do you decide to have ANOTHER child when you have to be on welfare just to provide for the ones you have? It makes me mad because I know so many young families who could really use the help but make too much (even though they can't even make ends meet. It seems like people who don't work or have so many children they can't even begin to support them can get it but people who work hard but just don't make enough can't get anything

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Intentionally, heck yes.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 3:26 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• i personally think it is. why keep popping out kids when you cannot afford the ones you have?
    newlife627

Answer by newlife627 at 3:27 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I do. It's not fair to you, your kids, or the system. Get yourself out of the hole ur in and then reproduce
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:27 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I think it's irresponsible. It's one thing if your assistance is temporary, but to keep having children that you can't afford to raise is irresponsible. There are families that have enough money to provide for children who choose to not have more because they know the realities of how expensive it is to raise a family.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 3:28 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• i am on welfare, food stamps and i have two kids. I am a stay at home mom and my husband works but to keep having kids to keep the welfare i wouldn't do.
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 3:29 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• It may not be right, but it's dangerous territory suggesting that someone should or shouldn't have more children. I think responsible people would look at their situation and say that they shouldn't have more kids right now, but I wouldn't want someone dictating how many kids I have ... so I'll just keep my mouth shut!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 3:29 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I dont think its right to intentionally have another child just because you are on welfare. But if you are on welfare because you are actually struggling and you need the help and you happen to get pregnant I dont see the big deal
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Answer by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 3:33 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• It's not something I personally would do. Not because I view it as right or wrong, but because I know as a former Social Worker/Case Manager how strapped the system is at this time.

I have no opinion in regards to whether it is right or wrong for others.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:33 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I think welfare should only be for the ones who want to work but need a little help.. You should be able to stand on your own feet before you add kids to the mix weather your on welfare or not
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 3:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Personally I think its their choice. No matter how you see it. If they want to have a another thats what they want. It may not be what everyone else agrees with but they do not need yoour approval to have a child. You do not know the reasons they are choosing to have one now. It could be that with their religion they dont believe in birth control or a medical issue which may prevent them down the road from having more. You should never judge another persons decisions without knowing the whole story.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 6, 2011