I think my 6 year old lost her damn mindd *vent*

&& some body better help her find it
cause shes real close to getting a spanking

me:goo make up your bed,and then get in the tub your sister has to get in next so hurry up cause i have things to do

6 year old:ok

me: (10 minutes later):Lonnie why did you leave your IPOD on the floor?come and pick it up before ii throw it out

6year old:well if you throw it out thats only gon hurt you cause you the one who bought it uggg first you tell me to make my bed,then you tell me take a bath,then you tell me to pick up my ipod all yall do is call my name a million times in this house,uggg Lonnie do this,Lonnie do that...i would be thankful if yall would just leave me alone!!!

Thank GOD its sunday and they go back to school tomorw

LABELmeCUTE

Asked by LABELmeCUTE at 3:35 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• lmbo, tell her sorry sweetie this is life! the ipod thing, ya you might be out the money cuz you bought it, but your not out the ipod its hers not yours and you arent buying her a new one! right? lol
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Answer by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 3:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Oh, the 6 year old attitude. We are grown up now, in school, I'm your equal, not a little kid anymore. Can't really think for myself, but don't want you telling me what to do. Just have patience, mom. She will outgrow it. Just don't let her get carried away with it. Let her know what attitudes are acceptable and which are not. Now is a good time to let her know that she can talk to you about anything without a lot of negative reaction from you. You'll be glad you did when she gets a little older.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 3:42 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I don't know too many 6-year olds who are capable of handling one set of instructions(make the bed) on their own, let alone two(get in the tub). I also don't know too many 6-year olds that would be capable of carrying out either instruction alone and unassisted. I think they need help at that age and positive reinforcement for the little bit they might be able to accomplish on their own. While I do not think you should be tolerating disrespect from a 6-year old, I do think she is probably frustrated at being given so many instructions and no help in carrying them out. Parenting is teaching and it is training. You cannot expect a young child to behave like an adult and then want to get rid of them because they can't perform up to your expectations. I think you are expecting way too much too soon. It's not that you have bad children; it's just that they need more supervision and teaching at home.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:49 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I think she would be short an IPOD for a week or so.

NickLukeandEmma

Answer by NickLukeandEmma at 3:51 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I agree with nannyB my daughter will be 6 next month and she doesn't clean her room that well or even make her bed that well until I am litterly watching her. She can't even make her bed unless I help her. She can't even take her own bath yet (we are working on it), but she can't turn on the cold eater right and burns herself she can't turn the water all the way off and she can't wash her hair yet. I usually will ask my daughter go do this so she does it I check it then I will ask her ok thank you now can you do this for me then I check that you have to ask them to do one thing at a time or they get overwelmed with everything that needs done
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:57 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• ask instead of tell, nobody likes to be commanded at any age. give her consequences if its not done and praise if it is (not candy or anything but let her know she did a good job) and only give a 6 year old enough tasks to handle as a 6 year old can handle at a time. if it were me, i would have bathed her & her sister together, and helped her make her bed. i give my 4 &2 year old baths together and my 4 year old can wash her body but not her hair, and doesn't need help drying off or picking out her jammies. but at her age she still needs help with the bath. i cant imagine her being able to do it all by herself by 6.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:05 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• @mommy5409 i agree with you and NANNYB but my daughter is very advances shes been making her own bed since she was 4 she does it every day before she leaves for school its a part of her chores
    LABELmeCUTE

Comment by LABELmeCUTE (original poster) at 4:20 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• @tnm786 thank you & her bath water was allready ran she just had to get in and wash up witch she knows how to do herself
    LABELmeCUTE

Comment by LABELmeCUTE (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• She sounds like a smart kid. She should not be talking like that to an adult, but it takes a smart brain to be able to argue like that. She ad some good points...lol! Smart kids can be the hardest ones to discipline sometimes. They know how to prove their case & can be difficult to argue with. Sometimes with smart kids, it boils down to a battle of will power between parent & child.

I tell my dd that if she talks to me that way, she can expect some consequences. But, i do not spank. I take rights away.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:22 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I see no reason a 6 year old couldnt manage these tasks on her own...my 4 year old can take a shower on her own and though she still cant the bed on her own I certainly expect her to by 6...my 7 year old can do it and has been able to for a while. If you dont expect a child to be able to handle these things they simply wont...
    pregoagain2010

Answer by pregoagain2010 at 4:44 PM on Mar. 6, 2011