• In the Spotlight:

What do you feed your baby? My son who is 16 months old isn't crazy about baby food any longer, I do give him what my family usually eats just wondering if anyone has any healthy menu ideas??

lunch & dinner is where I find myself not eating too good & don't want to pass it on to my son.

sissaymay

Asked by sissaymay at 3:35 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When Logan was at that age I would get him the preschool means that are with the baby food. He loved them until it took two to fill him up so we went to regular table food.
    becky0829

Answer by becky0829 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• at 16 months there isn't much they CAN'T eat. try to make simple things that will last for a couple days that you can both eat on. experiment w/ different kinds of noodles and rice. mix-ins are endless. red salmon, sweet peas, etc. get him used to textures, flavors, etc. find out what he likes and go with it.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:43 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• consider a 12 hole muffin tin and fill them all w/ a different thing

1 scrambled egg
    2-3 sliced grapes
    1 piece of cut up deli turkey slice
    avocado chunks
    cherrios (dry, plain)
    canned low sodium green beans
    canned low sodium carrots
    yogurt with banana slices to dip

and so on. offer lots. he'll eat stuff, I promise :)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:46 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• my 13 month old eats everything the family eats, and since i also have older children she gets what they would have for lunch. which is usually leftovers from the night before, a sandwich with a fruit or veggie. for dinner if we're having something that is too heavy for her i go with some cooked pasta that she can easily pick up, like macaroni or rotini, and mix it with some pesto or pasta sauce, or even just lightly buttered, served with some peas. or a waffle, banana and some orange juice or milk. possibilities are almost endless with children this age. just avoid nuts and other foods that could be choking hazards.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:49 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• If you aren't cooking healthy and you don't want your baby started on not eating healthy then start making healthier meals. My oldest wouldn't eat baby food at all the one 2 she would eat was squash and pears thats it so at 10 months I had her on everything we ate. She wasn't on baby food anylonger. With my youngest she was very much intrested in the baby foods her favorite was brocoli and chicken ewww, but she liked it lol) anyway. I had her on table foods at 11 months. Everything we ate my kids ate. I think my kids were even eating chips at that age to be honest. Not telling you to do that just saying at 16 months they can pretty much eat what you eat (but of course you have to be comfertable with giving that to your kids)
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:50 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• You know, I've really started eating a lot healthier since my son was born. It's kind of embarrasing that I didn't really care about my own health all that much, but I care about his. There really is no way I'm letting him eat lean cuisine, hot pockets, frozen pizzas or fast food for lunch and dinner every day. He's my motivation to eat better. I still rely too much on prepared/packaged foods but I'm trying to cut it out. It cuts down on my work since I only have to make one meal (not one for him and a separate one for me), and in the long run it will help us all avoid health issues. Here are a few meal ideas (he doesn't always like it, but including breakfast and snacks, he's eating enough)
    - grilled cheese sandwiches and mixed greens salad
    - PB&J with fruit
    - spaghetti and turkey meatballs
    - mac & cheese with chicken and peas
    - meatloaf, mashed potato and cheesy broccoli
    - chicken/veggie stir-fry with rice
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 3:58 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, simply, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:21 PM on Mar. 6, 2011