Is it normal for my 5month old to be tierd most of the time?

My 5month old son is always seems tired and wants sleep. He goes to bed at 8:30pm on a regular basis and wakes up at at 6:30 or 7am. By 9am and 10 he is ready for a morning nap where he then sleeps until 12, has a bottle at 12:30 and is ready for a nap by 1:30 or 2pm. Wakes up from that nap at 4Pm and has a bottle by 4:15 or 4:30 and plays until 6 and ready for a nap again at 6pm. sleep until i wake him up at 6:30pm and try to keep him awake until bed time but still needs a nap at 7pm.
He doesn't want to play with his toys. I talked to his dr and she said he is normal and nothing is wrong. but he is always tired and crabby and crying and seems like he is still hungry after he drinks an 8oz bottle. he is on solids but only at night cuz of our not wanting bottle situation not to long ago and he still needs formula. I dont' know if i should give him more solids now or what and why he is always so tired

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 3:37 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds about normal to me. Are you letting him play in a playpen? or on the floor? He might need more activity. Remember, newborns need about 20 hours sleep a day. It decreases with age.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 3:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Hungry and sleepy are signs of growth spurt...babies grow when they sleep. he'll probebly go back and forth with taking more naps then less and back again. you just have to adjust with him... sometimes my son would sleep so long I would be scared he wouldnt sleep throuht the night and he did... just enjoy the quiet :)
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 3:55 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I was worried about the same thing. It seemed like he was always sleepy. But by your report above, he's getting about 15 hours of sleep, which is about average for his age. I think it's just hard for the first year or so because they need SO MUCH sleep. They are also learning how to fall asleep (and that takes time that they could otherwise spend playing or sleeping) and the end result is that it feels like the WHOLE DAY is spent either dealing with their hunger or exhaustion. As long as there are times when he's playing and not cranky (even if it's short-lived), I don't think there is anything really wrong here. Congrats on getting him on some kind of schedule so soon (I didn't figure out that I should do this until around 7 months)! Just keep working with him, it will get better.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 6:03 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• They go through phases. Sometimes they are A LOT more tired than other times. I know it can be hard to accept... my son is 14 months and I am still working on accepting this fact myself.
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 9:58 PM on Mar. 6, 2011