How do you address CONSTANT interruptions?

I am both a SAHM and work from home mom. I provide childcare for two children and I have 3 of my own (3, 6 and 10). I know I won't be able to get anything done with the charges, but I do believe I should be able to work on household stuff without constant interruptions from my children or husband. The bug me constantly. It is really starting to cause anxiety for me. Every time I sit down to do anything (including right now--interrupted twice during this message) one of them is asking me a question, bugging me for a cup of milk (when they already have one) a snack, to watch a movie, to play outside, etc. I will say, "Do not ask me any questions or ask for food or a drink until such and such a time." They don't listen and do it anyway.

I am not a patient person and I could really use some pointers.

SnapdragonSMT

Asked by SnapdragonSMT at 3:47 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• My daughters and hubby do the same thing! I never get a moment of peace until I go to bed, but then again I still at times get woke up by the kiddos in the night. I simply tell my girls that mommy needs a little time to herself and I put a show on for them, give them sippies and, a snack. It normally gives me a half hour of sanity. As far as my hubby I tell him to leave me alone for a little bit, lol. He jokes around with me about it, but know I need a few to myself. Maybe one day out of the weekend you could have a "me" day? Where you get time alone to grocery shop, get your hair done, or just drive alone for a bit. A girls night is nice every once in a while also.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 4:15 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I remember my kids not talking to me for hours until I got on the phone. Then they needed something or just wanted to talk. Not sure why they do it, just a fact of life at my house. Try to have patience with them.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 3:50 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Oh ya plus tell your DH a little help with all these interuptions every once and a while would be great, not trying to start an arguement or anything BUT HELP! LOL
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Answer by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 3:53 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I feel your pain! I have told my sons that they are fed and watered and now need to play on their own because it's Mommy time for X amount of minutes. When they come back, I repeat myself and do this as needed, without even moving from where I am. If that doesn't work, I say, "You are interrupting me!" If there's blood,vomit or fire, call me, otherwise, let me be.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:50 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• If your kids are old enough to help themselves they should. and the ones who arent old enough have the older ones help them! Your job is a 24/7 job and you need some time to yourself too!!!! My SIL is the same as you. lucky me i get a break and actually go to work away from my home. Dont take me wrong I love my kids and DH but I love going to work to get a break!
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Answer by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 3:52 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I deal with them by stopping whatever I am doing and giving them the attention they want. I will tell them ok mom is here and I will get whatever you want, but in 30 minutes I have to get up and do xyz. Until that is done I wont be able to stop again. The more you bug me the longer itll take and I wont stop to comply to your every whim while I am doing it.

Answer by gemgem at 3:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Aw I'm sorry lol I only have one child & SO here at the house but gosh they do drive me insane with questions some days lol Just have to keep repeating yourself I'm afraid saying that you are having a few mins to do something & that is that go ask your father or ask your older sibling etc. You need a few mins every so often too!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Its normal to be annoyed but children need attention and they always seem to need it when we nneed a minute of me time. Thats how it works with my kids anyway. lol!! I just try and tell them if you give me a few minutes I will hellp you but if you stand bugging whatever you want isnt going to happen.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 4:02 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I am not patient neither and I made it work for me. I used to look at them with a blank look on my face and not answer anything they say. Try to stay calm when you do so because they will remain to provoke you. My children are 19, 16, 12 and 4. They know the drill, the three older ones that is, but the 4 year old is getting there. You have to be consistant with whatever your doing. I wish you luck because I understand the feeling. Best of luck and a big luck for you.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 4:24 PM on Mar. 6, 2011