female dog...pregnant???

OK so my 10 month old lab/rott mix just ended her first heat. I did the best i could to keep them seperate and my male didnt get to her that i know of. but her nipples are still really swollen and shes being really lazy. i heard female dogs have a lot of the same pregnancy symptoms as we do but does anyone know anything about breeding and how i can tell she is preg without taking her to the vet, thats so expensive and i dont want to take her unless im sure..or almost sure?? any suggestions?

Kennadismom

Asked by Kennadismom at 6:59 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Pets

• Im sorry, I dont know really anything about the pregnancy other than to say gestation is only 62 days long.Good luck!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:53 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Why don't you spay and neuter your dogs?
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 7:57 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Add up 9 weeks and if she is preggers she will have them within the week you have estimated.
    Xee

Answer by Xee at 8:32 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Go ahead and spay her now. Yes, vets DO perform spays on early pregnant dogs. Its way better than adding more puppies to the world when there are too many homeless ones already. GET HER SPAYED NOW.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 8:42 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Ditto what the others said, your animals really need to be fixed! There are lots of vets out there that will do it for little money!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 9:05 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• im on the waiting list to have her spayed!
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 9:05 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• oh ok, how long is the wait?
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:19 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• because if she's too far along, they won't do it *if* she is pregnant
    babycakes254

• In about 3 weeks from the time she goes out of heat if she was breed then her nipples will turn a darker pink then they usally are. And if you dont want her fixed when she comes back in heat take some boy jocky's underware and put them on her backwards so her tail will come out the opening of the underware. Just remember to take them off when she has to go out. And if you keep her out side then get extra section of wire to sepperate the two dogs so they cant get to each other.
    tweetybirdpkb

Answer by tweetybirdpkb at 12:03 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Babycakes has the right idea. Most vets and even low/cost spay-neuter clinics will perform an abortion if she is newly pregnant. And PLEASE no one anthromorphize and yell at me for suggesting that, we're talking about a dog here, not a person. I'm a rescue worker and I see the millions (and yes that's a true statistic, MILLIONS) of homeless pets that are killed daily simply because there aren't enough homes. If you tell me what area you live in I can look up low cost/free speuter clinics for you. I'm glad you have her on the waiting list, you need to get your male on the waiting less as well. There are bigger benefits to spaying and neutering beyond even unwanted pregnancy. :)
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 1:51 AM on Nov. 22, 2008