Tell me I'm overreacting!

I really hope I am because whenever MIL is around my LO, she makes comments like "your poop stinks...," "you're looking at the bartender, i bet you'll be a bartender when you grow up..." or the other day because she saw a bit of baby butt crack when LO bent over, she told him he needs to be a plumber "because they make good money" or when he tiptoes sometimes, she calls him a sissy, and she's called him anorexic when he was just a few months old and was experimenting with stuffing his fingers in his mouth to which DH and I let her know that's wrong....

She and I get along otherwise, but she does tend to favor her daughter over my DH

I hope I'm just being an overprotective mom and am looking too much into this before I lose my mind...sigh

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Relationships

• you are overreacting just a little. the sissy thing would bother me, and i would tell her not to bully my son or call him names. some people are just bizarre and don't think before they speak so she probably doesn't have bad intentions.. she just might not know how stupid she sounds.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:52 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Sorry but I dont believe you are overacting at all. I would be upset by such comments to. If your MIL keeps it up this could really bring down your childs self asteem in life, you dont want that. Hope you figure out a way to resolve this issue. Good luck
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 3:52 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Those comments would irritate the crap out of me and I'd ask her to be quiet. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:53 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Her comments are appalling! Perhaps say, "Now why would you tell a (whatever age) year old that they'd be a plumber, bartender, etc???" Not only does the child not understand you, it's incredibly rude and I'd rather you not make those comments!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:53 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• sounds AWFUL. ............ Sadly your hubby is the one who should really be putting the smack down. It's really only appropriate.

Whenever I have a conflict w/ my MIL (which is anytime I'm around the bitch) my husband deals with it. And in return I handle problems regarding my folks. It seems more civil and fair.

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:53 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Your husband should tell her she needs to be careful of the negative remarks that she makes to any and all children. Children are extremely sensitive to negative talk about themselves and they can carry it with them for a lifetime. She may not realize the possible damage she is doing, but she needs to be told and perhaps told again. If it kept up, you and your husband should consider just keeping the child away from her, but you be sure you let your husband do the talking. Anything you say can and will be used against you for the rest of your life.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:54 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I don't think you are overreacting. SHe is probably kidding, but if you don't like it you have every right to say so. I would just "joke" back.

When she says, "You are an anorexic" . . . just laugh and say, "takes one to know one" and laugh and laugh and laugh.

She'll probably stop.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:54 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• No I would tell you let it go when he gets older this stuff will hurt him stay stuff like I used to when my mom said things like that she would say stuff like look out jenny craig and I would say stuff like here is one client your not getting or she would call my son the white fat albert I said yes your funny. I just kept doing that and she stopped when she realized my comebacks were for her.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:54 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Remember that old saying that ALL moms tell their kids .... "If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all."

I would simply remind her of that old saying ... 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 3:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I'm not sure I could put up with all that negative talk, no matter how old your son is. They pick up on the persons attitude quickly. If grandma is going to constantly put him down, I would talk to her about it and ask her to stop.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 3:57 PM on Mar. 6, 2011