If I go into a mental hospital tonight, can I be released tomorrow?

I am going in voluntarily and I will be going in for anxiety. Can I release myself tomorrow? I have a court date in the morning, would they reschedule it or arrest me for not showing?

nashia

Asked by nashia at 3:57 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Health

• I think you should find a way to get thru the night, personally. Bake, goto a casino, rent a ton of movies, go an a cleaning frenzy.

Don't jeopardize court. ... almost certainly they'll keep u on a 72 hour hold. Unless you're going to hurt yourself or others.... then please PLEASE go in now
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:03 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• No, it's not a resort you check in and out of. It will probably be 48 to 72 hours.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:03 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• That is a terrible plan to avoid a court date and most likely you will not be able to reschedule the court date. Take the bull by the horns and face the music.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 4:13 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• hm I dont know about all of that. Good luck though & I hope you are able to get the help that you need to get.

Could you call them on the phone & ask without giving your name? I bet you could.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Yes. If you are over 18 and are not legally compelled to be in the hospital you can sign yourself out any time you choose. HOWEVER, some states do withhold the right to remove children from those who are "mentally ill" and "refuse treatment" and should you sign yourself out AMA you may have to deal with that... Personally, I think if you need the treatment so bad that you are going to sign yourself in, you should stay and get what you need!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:01 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Ok heres the thing. If you go in tonight it doesnt mean the place you go into has a bed. You will have to go to the ER and they find you a bed. That can take anywhere from a couple hours to 24 hours. So by the time you actually get a bed you might be due in court. You should be able to voluntarily leave if you go in on your own, but you will leave AMA (Against medical advice) and insurance nor medicaid will pay for the stay if you leave AMA. If they find you might be a danger to yourself or others again they can make you stay. If you plan to go you can be excused from court, however you have to have someone go to court for you and explain to the judge you are in the hospital, and generally they will grant a continuance.
    Source: Mother of a Bipolar adult child.

Answer by gemgem at 4:03 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I used to have anxiety, and I went and saw my Dr. for it... they gave me a prescription, for prozac, but chose not to use it... I found other ways to handle my stress, such as running, cleaning, etc. Maybe you have anxiety about court, which is understandable, but maybe after going, you will feel better. Good luck to you
    katieandchris01

Answer by katieandchris01 at 4:19 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I think it probably varies by institution or state. Most places I have heard use a 48 or 72 hold once someone admits themselves for psych reasons.

NickLukeandEmma

Answer by NickLukeandEmma at 4:01 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• A doctor will have to come evaluate you and one day in there is not going to help the anxiety it probably make it worse my best advise would be wait till after the court hearing and then admit yourself so you can get your anxiety under control.

bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 4:04 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Also you can go to an emergency walk in clinic in your area and they should be able to give you something for the anxiety my SO did that and they gave her like three different meds that have been working for her.

bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 4:07 PM on Mar. 6, 2011