What are the chances of twins?

My husbands father was a twin and also has twin siblings. What are my chances of having twins?

familynsni

Asked by familynsni at 4:10 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

• From what I have heard, this is all based on genetics... if twins run in the family, etc. They also say that twins skip generations... But, lol, I know couples that dont have twins on either sides of their families, and yet have had twins themselves...lol also from what I understand, invetro increases the odds of multiples....
    katieandchris01

Answer by katieandchris01 at 4:12 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• There's general statistics for multiples but chances go up when it runs in families, I can't say what your exact chances are because I know only what you learn in middle school about genetics but because it runs in the family I'd say your chances are higher than the average person. In my family twins always skip a generation however twins are born in every generation of my husband's family - his mother is a twin, he has a fraternal twin, we have identical twins, his brother (not the twin brother) also has twins. His cousin has fraternal triplets. I honestly didn't think that many multiples born into the same family was possible but I've seen it now for myself.
    Anonymous

• It depends on whether the twins in your family are identical or fraternal. Fraternal twins can be genetic, but identical twins are a total fluke and have no relation to genetics. Also, when it is genetic, it comes through the mom, so twins on your husbands side won't have any impact on you having twins. The only way you could be genetically predisposed to have twins is if you have FRATERNAL twins on YOUR side.

Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 5:13 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I wish I was having twins, knock both out at the time.
    Unique11

Answer by Unique11 at 6:45 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I don't know the statistics, all I know are the things I have heard. Would be fun to research it.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 8:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I think that generally, it's more likely if it runs on the mom's side of the family.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:42 PM on Mar. 6, 2011