Spoiling vs comforting...

my daughter got her first two teeth almost a month go. she had 2 major cry outs. she did it again today so i was comforting her by rubbing her gums rocckin her and singing to her to try and calm her. my says i was spoiling her. wat u think

Asked by minki111 at 4:22 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• You can't spoil an infant. It's when they get older that they realize how to play you and that's when you need to be careful. Plus your child is teething and that means they are hurting so yes they need their mother to comfort them.

Answer by at 4:24 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• my husband & mil think i spoil our kids, or that i'm too "soft". funny how when he tries to discipline & be firm with them, they come running to me. its because they trust me and not him (we're working on that & his ptsd issues). so if he wants to call that "spoiling" go right ahead. i call it being a loving, caring mother who will wipe away any & all tears and kiss any & all boo-boo's!

Answer by tnm786 at 4:24 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Comforting. She's in pain. If your baby falls down and you pick her up to calm her down is that spoiling too? Nothing wrong with comforting your baby. Lets her know that mommy will be there for her when she needs you.

Answer by anthonys_mom21 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• No, you are not spoiling her. that is Horrible that someone would think comforting your child is spoiling.

It only becomes spoiling when they child becomes demanding & you give in. It can be toys, snuggles, food. A spoiled child is one that has high demands & the parents give in.

Comforting a scared, hurt, or sad child is never EVER spoiling!

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:26 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• You can't really spoil a baby, for one, and comforting is NOT spoiling. It is reassuring your child that you will be there for them when they need you.

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 4:38 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I'm a firm believer that when I child is in pain, they should ALWAYS be able to come to mom for comfort. What I think is spoiling is when moms make such a fuss that the kid thinks it's worse than it really is, and then they cry even if they aren't hurt. When my son gets hurt, I cuddle him and kiss him and tell him he's gonna be ok. I don't go, "OH MY GOSH YOU JUST FELL DOWN ARE YOU HURT? OH KNOW OH KNOW!" Hehe.

As for crying it out, while I have let my son cry it out when he was resisting going to sleep, I would never EVER let him cry it out if he was in pain. Pain should ALWAYS be comforted. Don't listen to anyone, just follow your instincts and comfort your little girl!

Answer by Adelicious at 5:07 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• You spoil a child by buying them whatever they want and not teaching them responsibility. You do not spoil a child with unconditional love or by meeting their needs. Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves is a wonderful parenting book

Answer by rkoloms at 5:16 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I don't think you can spoil a baby that young...I don't think my daughter even touched the ground until she was 1 lol...I'm just kidding but you get my point...don't worry about'll know when your baby is too old for you to coddle all the time.

Answer by Lucky209 at 5:23 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• comfort your child

Answer by pammomof9 at 6:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• You aren't spoiling her, your being a mother and comforting her.

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:42 AM on Mar. 7, 2011