My 4 year old dog had a seizure today...

We took him to the vet, but the blood work won't be in until tomorrow. I was so worried. I saw a seizure in a person once before.
And I recognized it in my dog.
Has anyone ever had any pets who had seizures?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Pets

• Our dog that had just recently passed away was on meds for them. While having one, put a towel or blanket lightly over the head. To keep it dark for them. Take it off when you can tell the dog is no longer stiff and is more relaxed. Just stay calm, and try not to make any sudden loud noises and movements. Our dog did not die from having a seizure. She was old. Hope yours won't have them often or have them bad.
    BJsMommy04

Answer by BJsMommy04 at 12:59 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Our first Boxer did. It was SCARY. He was about a year old. We were driving in the car and he was in the backseat. We thought he had died the way he flopped down into the floor of the back. Our second Boxer had seizures, but it was related to a brain tumor at the end of his life.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 4:45 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• My dog had epilepsy. You can talk them through it just like you do humans. Pet him, talk to him quietly. But as soon as the seizure is over, we had to get him outside quick because the bowels and bladder would release. He would do that when fireworks were going off or loud thunderstorms. I think he was about 5 when the seizures started. He was 12 or 13 when he passed on.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 4:50 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Our Siberian husky has seizures, no apparent trigger. We pet him, talk to him, make sure he doesn't bite his tongue or swallow it, make sure he's breathing, keep him from hurting himself. He's had 3 in 2 years. If they were more frequent or more severe, we could give him meds every day to prevent them if we wanted.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 4:58 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I had a poodle that died at 17 yrs old. he had seizures and I just stayed with him and comforted him.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 8:28 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• My dad had a beagle with epilepsy. I never saw the dog have a seisure, but my dad said it was frequently. The dog died at a young age.

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:27 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Our dog started having seizures at 3 years old. No apparent cause. She ended up on 3 different meds to try and control them. She would have about 4 a month. We could usually tell when one was coming, she would do a lot of pacing. Same as the PP said, just talk to your dog, pet him. We couldn't take our dog outside right away, it was usually about 15 minutes before she was able to stand and walk. She passed away last June from Congestive Heart Failure, at 10 years old.
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 7:58 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• How does a dog get epilepsy? I have had dogs when I was a kid and I have dogs now and none of them ever had a seizure! Oh BTW I have beagles,so if they have them it is not the breed. I have also had Irish Settle,lab Also I have bagels now too they r mixed half beagle and half bassett hound!!! They r adorable!!!! I also had bassett hounds and none of those breeds have ever had any health problems.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:49 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• The causes can be from anything really, like if they ate something, tumor, trauma, neurological dysfunction, toxins in the system, genetic predisposition, cardiovascular disease, ect...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2011