Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What else can i do for my son

My first ds was born very early and had brain damage at birth. they said he would never walk talk or eat on his own. he is doing all that. he is now 4 and lately he has been having tamptums. he will hit his younger brother that is 1 with toy hammers, push him over, pulling him around by his clothes, start crying for no reason at all, cry nonstop or scream when we go out anywhaere, run in circles just to name a few. we have tried time outs, talking to him in a calm matter, rewards chart but i just dont know what else to do. he is getting worse each day. i have tired talking to his dr but she was no help at all. his teacher think he has add but i dont know. can someone please give me some other ideas for my hubby and i to try. thanks

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Answers (7)
  • I think you should take him to the doc there could be something wrong lke add/adhd or even autism.

    Answer by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 4:45 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • If I were in your shoes, I would keep seeking help. You're the mom, and you should trust your instinct if you think this is more than simply bad behavior, but something else going on. If your doctor isn't helpful, go to another doctor! Don't give up until you find some answers. Look up symptoms of autism and autism spectrum and see if any of that is familiar. Don't give up, Mama! Sorry for what you're going through!

    Answer by Adelicious at 4:47 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • When I am at my wits end I always think to myself respond with love. I have a younger brother who is special needs and he would hit me when he was really young like that too and I would try to show him that it hurt but I knew it wasn't right to hit him back or even expect him to understand that what he was doing was wrong. I would hug your son and tell him you love him and that everything is alright and to calm down. I have taught my 2 year old to stop and take a deep breath when he gets like that too. Good luck!

    Answer by at 4:47 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • You can take him to a specialist or a child psychologist. As for now you have to remember he was blessed by accomplishing the tasks that doctors said he would never accomplish. This does not rule out that your son is dealing with some issues that he may not seem to be able to express. Sorry to hear about this and I hope you guys are able to seek the proper help for your son. Hugs

    Answer by dubewife at 4:55 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • It seems he may be "acting out" for soon to be 6 year old would do the same to my 4 year old and while I said they are boys and should learn to defend started getting WAY out of hand..I didnt know what to do...but then started noticing that he would do it more in front of I started giving him his own time..taking him to the park, movies and out shopping for him just him and I and his attitude started improving..and while I was spending time with my oldest my fiancee was spending time with my second son..and vice versa..its just attention seeking love it will get better if he feels more important..also helps by making him "mommys big helper"! Let him pick out his own clothes and do things for himself..shows him independency and helps boost his confidence..

    Answer by djimenezlove85 at 4:55 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • I would suggest going to another doctor getting a second opinion. Just to make sure there is nothing more that you can do to help him.

    Answer by Kellyjude1 at 5:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • we know he has cerbral plasy. i do alot on one on one time with him. every day when ds2 is sleepping ds1 and i do alot of playing, he goes grocery shopping with me and daddady stays home with ds2, my in laws even take him over night 2 a month and takes him on their day offs. we have seen 2 different drs. the first one said i wasnt do my job as a parent and that he was going to end up in jail and the second said he needed more sleep at night when he sleeps roughly 11 hrs. he goes to shriners in a few weeks and i am thinking about talking to his social worker there. i know they speicalize in orthopedics but maybe she can give me some resources i could use with talking to his drs

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Preschoolers (3-4)
DD is acting wierd

Next question overall (Baby Names)