How do you get a 2 yr old to understand...

Logan's puppy died last night. He has been looking for her all day. How do I get him to understand that she is gone?

becky0829

Asked by becky0829 at 4:46 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• Maybe tell him that the puppy went to God's house to play....and that he will see him again :)
    katieandchris01

Answer by katieandchris01 at 4:49 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• You don't. You just let tell him the dog went Bye Bye.

Answer by louise2 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Aww my 2 year old is a Logan too. A couple days ago we accidentally left his favorite Buzz Lightyear at a store and when we went back for it they had let another customer take it home. We told him it went to another child somewhere who needed it and we got him a Woody to replace it. So get a replacement but something different so he doesn't say no the other one :) I'm sorry for your family's loss and I hope Logan is not too sad for very long.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 4:52 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Keep explaining that he will no longer get to see the dog, got sick , he died and he went to dog heaven and he is with God, and keep repeating it until he no longer asks where he is. Death is even hard for some adults to really understand, so don't expect a child to grasp it all at once.

Answer by older at 6:00 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Please don't use the term "got sick!". With all of the parents that I work with, I tell them the same thing. Sick is a term that we all use. You don't want you son to relate "sick" to never seeing something again. Use the word disease. People don't typically use that word so it's not connected to death or not seeing someone or something again. At his age, he won't understand the concept of death. Not for a few years, anyway. Point out things like dead bugs, etc. Say things like "See, they don't move anymore. They can't play anymore." Don't hide your tears or sadness when you have them! If he shows concern for you, just tell him that you are sad because the dog died and you will miss him very much. He will eventually understand that he is gone, but don't be surprised if in 6 months he asks where the puppy is. It's totally normal to ask again and again. I'm truly sorry for your loss.
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 9:14 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I meant to add this to my above answer. Check this out. It will give you some answers that are helpful for both you and your child.
    http://www.helpmealison.com/death-questions.html
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 9:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• you have to have the horrible death chat
    stella73

Answer by stella73 at 5:04 PM on Mar. 8, 2011