How would you feel if your child came home from school and said this?

My teacher told me that even though Santa Clause makes all the toys and delivers them, he still sends the bill to your parents. This was a teachers way of trying to explain why some children get more than others. I also posted this question in the parenting section, but I thought it was kind of a current event questions, since Christmas is coming up.

slick05

Asked by slick05 at 7:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• What grade is your child in? Not that it's okay that she said it ~ just wondering what age group she's speaking to.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 7:12 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I personally don't think it is a big deal. I don't even know how I would be able to explain to kids why some get better gifts than others. She didn't take away from Santa Clause. I could see if she said 'there is no santa, and all gift come from your parents', that would have been something else.
    Anonymous

• I would be vary mad at the teacher

Answer by louise2 at 7:12 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I don't see a problem with it, regardless of age. Its a difficult thing to explain. I agree with the poster above - she isn't taking away from Santa at all. Just giving a reason that might sound reasonable to a child about why some receive more than others.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:14 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• This was to a group of 4th graders.
    slick05

Answer by slick05 at 7:14 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Pretend you are a teacher. So if your students asked you why some kids get more gifts than others what would you say? I guess I would say go home and ask your parents that. But I think the answer was ok.
    Anonymous

• I don't tell my kids that Santa is real. I did with my oldest son and it was a mistake. When he found out the truth at age 9 he felt betrayed and lied to. My younger 3 children have never been told that Santa is real. They have always enjoyed Christmas Day as much as any other children. So I would be honest with my child and tell him/her the truth of why I believe this teacher did this.
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 7:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Do 4th graders still believe in Santa? I know mine doesn't.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 7:16 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I know that she isn't taking away from Santa, but I think the proper thing would be to tell the children to ask their parents about Santa. And if Santa gives us the bill, exactly what is the point of Santa than. Why don't we just by the gifts and give them to them. Why would we need the middle man.

slick05

Answer by slick05 at 7:16 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Maybe she just wasn't sure if some kids did still believe in Santa.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 7:18 PM on Nov. 21, 2008