If you could financially afford to have a lot of kids would you? Do you think you could emotionally handle having a lot of kids?

I know some people who would never have more than one or two kids no matter what their financial status is and then there's families I know with lots of babies and love being a big family then there's people like my ex who keeps having kids without being able to support any of them.

My husband is one of 8 children; his family has the means to provide for a family of that size and his mother is like super woman and raised them all without the help of nannies, cooks, or maids. She did it with just her, her husband, and the support of family. I'm one of 8 children; my parents could afford to have all of us financially but my dad was in and out of jail for most of my young childhood and my mother was a wreck most of the time.

I love being in a big family, my husband loves being in a big family - we already have 5 children and I am handling that quite well emotionally and financially but I sometimes worry how many children can I handle? Sometimes I feel like I could easily handle a dozen kids especially when my first 3 love helping out around the house and with their younger siblings but there are those rare days when all of my kids are just in a mood and I feel like I never want to have another baby again. The good days far outweigh the bad so I know I'll have at least one more kid within the next couple of years.

So basically I am curious to see how many other women want big families and all that comes with it and how many women prefer to have only a few kids...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Just for Fun

• No,one kid fits us well. it wouldn't matter if we were richer

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:03 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• No.

Emotionally, physically, mentally.. I know myself, I know my faults, I know my limits, and I fully accept them. I am a one child gal..
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:04 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• No, I would not want a large family. We have 2 children and that's fine for us. We considered having a 3rd but ultimately decided against it, for numerous reasons.
    I would freaking die if I had like 6 kids. I cannot handle that kind of stress and busy lifestyle.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:05 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I have 2. The things that are keeping us from a 3rd or 4th are my medical problems (knee replacement, failing spine health) coupled w/ the fact we enjoy spoiling our kids.... and the world seems rather BUILT for a family of 4. However, we have the discussion nearly every month. Sometimes every week. It seems logical that we'll have at least 1 more. More $$$$$$ would help. But more energy would be better :)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:07 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I'm 1 of 4 children,but my mom and dad are both from really big families, and I enjoyed growing up with so many aunts, uncles, and cousins. I only have 1 child at the moment, and I think I only want 1 or 2 more.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 5:07 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• If I'd started having kids earlier, I'd probably have a second one.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:07 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I wanted 6 kids when my DH and I first got married. He wanted to stop with 3, but I pushed for #4, saying I'd be satisfied with 'just one more'. I'm not, but he is, so I guess I'm done! lol If we had more money, though, more resources, he'd be more than happy to have more kids.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 5:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I had two, wanted more, but couldn't. I worry about the future of my grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Times are tough and getting tougher. I'm glad mine are grown. Not sure I would want to face that choice in these times. And, at my age, I'm less tolerant. Told my grandson I would babysit if he supplied the duct tape and rope. His wife didn't think it was funny.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 5:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• probably lol. I love babies (not that I don't love my kids as well cause I do) I just love when they are babies so I would probably have more if we could afford it. We are pregnant with our 3rd but this is our last. The reason is because I have my oldest in ballet then I am going to put my youngest in ballet before long and then I want to put the baby in something when he or she is old enough. So if I want to do that then we probably can't aford another one. If I didn't do that we might be able to have one more. Although I am not sure if I would emotionally be able to have another lol my youngest is a handful alone she is 3. Plus I had problems when I had my second daughter with the epidural that to this day I have problems and it got worse sence I got pregnant so that is another reason this will probably be our last
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:10 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• no matter all the riches in the world, it truly comes down to how much attention can you spend raising a child. i have one child, my first, and a dog who is two. i find giving them both equal and valuable attention tends to stretch me a lil. but with my df, its not too bad. we want to wait until our first child is older before we have another kid.
    Arretsmomma5

Answer by Arretsmomma5 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 6, 2011