How do I get the smell out of my carpet?

I cleaned my carpets on Friday night. I expected that they would smell clean and fresh but they STINK! How do I get rid of the smell?

mommytoJames512

Asked by mommytoJames512 at 5:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Home & Garden

• DH and I own a carpet cleaning business....and we purposely don't use Hot Water Extraction (HWE or Steam Cleaning) because it can cause mold and mildew and a mildew smell. If you ever use a professional hire someone who uses a low moisture method.....or if you want to rent a machine go to Home Depot or Lowe's and rent a floor buffer and buy a cotton pad and some "encapsulation" cleaner. It dried in less than an hour because you use a very light spray and it cleans the carpets from the bottom up, rather than weighing the dirt down deeper into the fibers.

To get rid of the smell look for a product called XO, it's sold in a few stores and on QVC.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:00 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• They are probably still damp. Feel as deep as you can. If it is still damp, get a fan. Keep it on one area until dry, then move it to the next area. If the smell is still there, try brushing in baking soda, leave it for a while, and then vaccuum up.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 5:12 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• That's what my townhouse smelled like when I moved in! LOL! I bought a product called Active from the janitorial supply place. You mix it with water and spray. It takes that smell away as well as many more! If you can't find that, open all your windows and let it stand that way for a day.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:11 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• maybe they are still wet?? did you steam clean them? my df steam cleans carpets for a living. its best to keep your place well ventilated it helps when the weather is nice. steam cleaning should go all the way to the pad, so thats a lot of fibers to dry out. once they are dry, i would throw some baking soda down and vacuum it up. maybe you have wool carpet? those stink when wet
    Arretsmomma5

Answer by Arretsmomma5 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I have no idea what kind of carpet it is. I just rented a Rug Doctor from Raleys and did them.
    mommytoJames512

Comment by mommytoJames512 (original poster) at 5:19 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• id try a fan and some of the carpet powder you can vaccum up, or baking soda, that works too
    katieandchris01

Answer by katieandchris01 at 5:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2011