What to use for cracked heels ?

this usually doesn't happen to me. but past 2 years it's been a regular thing. i use body butter or vaseline (petroleum jelly).. it does get better for a day or 2 but then comes back again if i'm not consistent. i can understand dry skin in winters but summers ? and i dont have a dry skin to begin with! this has never happened to me before.
is there any over the counter medicine which i can use so i can get rid of cracked heels for good? applying body butter or vaseline EVERYDAY can be a pain sometimes.. HELP !!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• sounds like a fungal infection. Have your doc do a skin test

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:12 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• something called tims crack cream, found at walmart over by the pharmacy....doesnt smell wonderful, but works miracles!!
    katieandchris01

Answer by katieandchris01 at 5:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Try Crisco & white cotton socks at bedtime for a couple of weeks. You need to not only heal the external damage, but completely rehydrate your skin deep inside, so once your heels look healed, put lotion on them each evening before bed to maintain them.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 5:15 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• some of the "good" heal creams and lotions can be so so SO expensive. I've bought some that were over $10 and u never know if they're going to work on u or not. what I do when my feet get bad occasionally is go get a spa pedicure. they're professionals, they'll fix you right up. then you can do regular maintenance w/ vaseline and lotion and keep them nice
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:15 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• OP here: no no it's not fungal infection. fungal infection itches, bleeds, hurts or has funny colored pus in it. and neither of these things happen to me. i just have dry and cracked heels which feel rough if i run my hands over them. after applying body butter they become perfectly fine for a day. but only temporarily
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:16 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Before bed, slather on coconut oil or shea butter, and put on socks

Answer by rkoloms at 6:15 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• you are sooo wrong about fungi..

dandruff is caused by a fungus called Malassezia.

and from the sounds of it you have athletes foot.. or in medical terms: Pityriasis simplex capillitii and it's caused by fungi Trichophyton. it is a fungal infection of the skin that causes scaling, flaking, and itch of affected areas. which sounds like what you have. Although I can't see your feet, so it could also be something as simple as callus's. (in which case a pedicure is your best cure).
    However you'll need to seek a doctor to be sure of what it is.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:18 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• pus is typically caused by a Staph infection, which is a bacterial infection. Fungi is completely different from this.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:20 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• due the to cracking the bottom of the feet (from the fungi, the feet are more prone to infection because the skin is broken, so yes sometimes infections occur causing infections and pus to develop.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:24 PM on Mar. 6, 2011