Is gastrointestinal upset a sign of labor?

I'm just curious, I've read that a lot of women get diarrhea before they go into labor. I haven't had diarrhea but I have gone #2 THREE times already today (I am normally an every-other-day kinda gal) and have that constant "icky" feeling in my stomach and abdomen. I haven't eaten anything weird - I mean literally, nothing out of the ordinary and no meat or eggs that could have been tainted...I haven't eaten out...

Is there any way it could be a sign that labors approaching? I'm about 35wks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• This is an interesting question. I'll be 36 weeks tomorrow and I threw up for the first time in FOREVER this morning. I've been "going" a lot more than normal as well. Maybe someone will know the answer =3
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:26 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I don't know about just pooping. I know that diarrhea is common at the onset of early labor, though. I'm 33 wks, and for the past couple of weeks, I've been pooping a couple times a day as well. maybe its bc u stay so backed up while pregnant, your body just has to have a "release", so to speak...
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 7:28 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Could be! I was 3 and a half weeks early and the night before I had diahrea. What pissed me off was that my dr said that it wouldnt be a "sick" feeling when I had it. She was wrong. I felt like I was gonna have a blow out like I ate something that my body didnt agree with! lol TMI?? You know that feeling. lol But as I said she was wrong and I delivered the next day!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:29 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• If its not diahrea then I woulnt think too much about it
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:30 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• *dies* You said blow out. Ohh I just lawled so hard xD

I'm probably wrong, but I honestly think the reason we're going more often is because the babies are putting more pressure on our organs than usual. So maybe our bowels don't have as much room to hold as much stuff? Maybe? I dunno. But with gravity doing its job, I wouldn't be surprised if it was because of that. I know I'd rather be going regularly than be constipated oh gawd >:(
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:31 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Thanks everyone!
    Anonymous

• I did notice an increase in going to the bathroom #2 with my kids right before labor, but at that point I had already lost my mucos plug.

In the last few months of being pregnant with my daughter I noticed I had more diarhhea and I was not sick either.

So I guess the answer is yes and no....there are too many factors.

Hang in there. I wish you a great delivery when the time comes.
    Anonymous

• An increase in bowel movements [not just consistency but also frequency] was always the first indicator that labor was fast approaching for me once I lost my mucus plug. [Not everyone loses their plug prior to labor,or has the increase in BM's.] Sometimes it started about 2 weeks prior, sometimes days beforehand,but that was my cue to keep an eye out.
    Jaydedeyz

Answer by Jaydedeyz at 1:24 AM on Nov. 22, 2008