Are Parenting books worth reading and really helpful?

I am wondering if anyone actually learned anything from parenting books like for discipline and such. If so any body have good ones to check out. I have three very strong willed children. Time-outs work for one and not another and such.

MommyPeck3

Asked by MommyPeck3 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• In my experience? They've not been helpful at all. But, I didn't find pregnancy books helpful either simply because it seems most authors insist on telling you anything they can to scare the crap out of you! I'm not a good rule follower and I've learned to just follow my gut when it comes to disciplining my child. And she's turning out pretty well, if I do say so myself. I think trusting yourself is the best advice.
    blu_canary

Answer by blu_canary at 6:04 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I love the book Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves by Naomi Aldort. http://www.naomialdort.com/

Answer by rkoloms at 6:11 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I had to take classes a long time ago, and I can't remember the name of the book that we used. It did work . My youngest one got on his
    hands and knees and begged me for a spanking instead of time out. I didn't give in and it hurt him worse. LOL
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 7:47 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• i like trusting your gut. its true what works for one doesnt work for anothe
    Arretsmomma5

Answer by Arretsmomma5 at 8:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• A good book is Beyond Time Out--from Chaos to Calm by Beth Grosshans, PhD
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 9:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I always felt they were written by childrenless people and I dontlike that
    stella73

Answer by stella73 at 5:02 PM on Mar. 8, 2011