Is 10 too late for an 11 year old to be on the phone?

My rule is no calls past ten, even in the summer. Am I being too strict in this day and age, or too lenient? I want your opinion more than your advice...

cavalleymom

Asked by cavalleymom at 10:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• YOUR the Parent!
    Step your foot down and stay with your Rule... No Calls past 10. You don't need us to tell you this. Its YOUR Rules!
    Anonymous

• 11 years old seems awfully young to be talking on the phone so late. I think I had that rule in high school! If that's the rule you live by then that's your business. IMO, I think you're being very lenient.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• yes, that is too late! she should already be in bed by that time! your rules and your kid, but those would not be my rules!
    annak4404

Answer by annak4404 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Growing up in our home we couldnt make or recieve calls after 10 p.m. I had the same rule for my kids as well. And 11 seems kinda young to be on the phone. It is YOUR home and you pay the bills, not the kids. So you set what rules YOUR comfortable with.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I think 10 is a good time. I may say that it is kind of late during the school yr. Stand your ground Mom they are your rules and the kids need to respect them. If you back down, they could really take advantage in the TEEN years to come. :)
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• 9 pm is the rule in my house
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• 9pm was always the rule in my house as well. If someone called after 9pm it better have been only by a few minutes. I think you are being to lenient. But as the other mothers have said, over all it is your choice and your little girl. Best of luck!
    2kidsonly2arms

Answer by 2kidsonly2arms at 12:26 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I have a 13yr old boy and a 9 yr old girl my rules are 8:oo on school nights 9:00 during summer. Of course grandma bought boy a cell phone that he tries to sneak phone calls, that will change when school starts. I think it's funny he doesn't know that I know
    bunco

Answer by bunco at 12:41 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• 9pm was our rule. Late phone calls past that normally meant something was wrong and made me nervous when it would ring late.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 2:45 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• My God! 11 year old on the phone at 10? I dont think so! My daughter sleeps at 9 and I dont allow her to use the phone unless it's important. Children should prioritize their studies and not the phone.
    momijing

Answer by momijing at 3:23 AM on Jul. 9, 2008