Any tips on how to get my 2 year old to let me brush her teeth- it is a constant battle!

BaliBlindsMom

Asked by BaliBlindsMom at 5:33 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you might have to spend a little $$$$ ... try to consider it an investment (dental work = pricey as heck)
    hit target with her. let her pick out WHATEVER toothpaste she wants.... sparkly my little pony, etc etc. there's an electric toothbrush that comes w/ a sticker set and I think a special marker, too.... if she decorates it herself and has ownership she is likely to be more invested in doing it. give her choices. should she brush in bathroom sink or kitchen. what cup will be her rinse cup. will you brush her tops or bottoms 1st. brush before or after book reading? and so on
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• As a dental hygienist, I have issues with my two year old as well. Make it a game. And make them feel like a big person, but also it is very important you do it as well. If we play a game she is much better at it. She is very independent. I use to have to hold her down on the bed. Maybe she doesn't like tooth paste. You do not have to use any toothpaste to brush teeth. As long as you are getting the mechanical motion, paste is just extra.
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 5:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Hand her a doll or stuffed animal, and a toothbrush; you can brush your babies' teeth together.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:10 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Take turns. Let her do it first, then it's your turn. Brush your teeth together, let her watch you.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 8:23 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• lol wait till their three. ill let my two year old blush for awhile then its my turn some days its good others it a fight and i pretty much have to sit on her to get them brushed. its the age, just do it sure they will cry but your not hurting them a cavity will hurt a lot more.

letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 2:26 AM on Mar. 7, 2011