Do your kids wear mouth guards when playing team sports?

Head injuries, due to trauma to the mouth or jaw while participating in youth athletics, is a leading cause of injuries in young athletes. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), soccer is the second-leading cause of orofacial and dental injuries in sports, right behind basketball. A custom-fitted mouth guard can help combat this growing issue.“Other than sports like football where a mouth guard is already required, very few student athletes or parents think about the need for mouth guards,” says Dr. Bill Graf, a dentist with First Choice Dental Group. “It should be a part of the equipment check when getting ready for the athletic season.”

BaliBlindsMom

Asked by BaliBlindsMom at 5:37 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• my kids aren't that old yet but they will. we've had a few battles. my kids are the only ones at the sledding hill wearing helmets, and almost always the only one of their friends on bikes wearing helmets. safety is not a negotiable subject for us
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:43 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• He doesn't really play team sports but he just started sparring and yes he HAS to have one. He tried to get out of it and said, "Well they aren't wearing them so do I gotta?" I'm like YEP!
    Anonymous

• My younger son plays lacrosse and is required by the school to wear one. So, yes he does.
    elliecooper

Answer by elliecooper at 8:58 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• My older 3 played football from Pee Wee through high school and they did wear a mouth guard and my youngest is 19 & has played football since he was 8 and plays in college and he wears a mouth guard.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 11:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2011