Is this "child abuse??"

My son tattled on my dh and about how we put him in timeout. My four yr old told my mom that we put him in T.O. in the dark in his room. Thats NOT true, technically its with his nightlight, with the door halfway OPEN. we are right there next to his room in the living room, so there is light going into his room like that as well.

My mother is sitting my child and she calls and Momma says.. "do me a favor, dont put "Name" in timeout in his room in the dark anymore" I say "what? its not in pure darkness, he has his nightlight, and the door half opened" I say "what I do with my kid when I have him is My problem, Ill deal with him My way, you deal with him yours" She then says "you know what??!! Thats child abuse!!" then hangs up...

Give me a break, that is NOT child abuse!! (is it??!!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• absolutely not. some parents lock them in.... and even THAT isn't considered child abuse. bad choice maybe but not abuse
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:40 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Absolutely not and I would not stand for my mother to question my parenting judgment.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:44 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• no. hes not in total darkness he is getting the light from the living room and a nitelight. i wouldnt be happy about my mother questioning how i disipline my kids either.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 5:49 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• No, I don't think that is even remotely considered child abuse. And how did she discipline you when you were a kid? I don't think she would be watching my child anymore, especially if she was saying this in front of my child.
    blu_canary

Answer by blu_canary at 5:55 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• So by that reasoning,having him sleep in his room at night is abuse since its dark! If his timeouts were in a closet,that'd be abuse,but in his room,no way!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• LOL in no way is that child abuse! This is insane!
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 6:10 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• that is not child abuse.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 8:29 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Although I don't understand why he has to be in his room without a light, no I don't think its abuse in any way at all!
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 8:29 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• its not child abuse. he is probably only telling on you because she doesnt discipline him and he can get away with it there. if she sits him regularly you need to go over your discipline routine with her as well as how to reward him for positive behavior. just as you need a united front with your partner same with sitters
    Arretsmomma5

Answer by Arretsmomma5 at 8:29 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Wow..she has a weird outlook on discipline. That is FAR from child abuse.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 8:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2011