Can your baby do this?!?

is it common for a newborn to hold his head up and look around the room right after birth? how about when he can hold his head up for more than five min at a week old? can stand he stand with very little to no help at one month? my baby is freaking people out a lil by his vast abilities, which books and other parents say he shouldnt be doing til he is at least four months. he is only two months and sits up on his own, laughs, smiles, squeals, walks when held, really notices things, "talks" in his baby language. im kinda bragging a bit but also i wanna know if this is normal, deflate me a lil please.

Arretsmomma5

Asked by Arretsmomma5 at 5:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son did. But, I would have him doing it because babies don't have any muscles tone so, it can hurt them badly. Most babies can lift there head as newborns if they are laying flat on their bellies. I wouldn't be encouraging the sitting and walking because at his age IF he does fall it will cause brain damage. The laughing, cooing, smiling, squealing is all normal baby stuff, it just means you are talking to him so he is trying to copy.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:53 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• well my oldest held her head up & looked around when she was born but none of my 4 children sat by themselves on their own.. but my oldest & my youngest which is 9 months started walking when they were 8 months.. so i dnt kno if its normal or not. I would brag so dnt feel bad about that.lol
    masonbunch

Answer by masonbunch at 5:50 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Obviously it is normal for him. Don't let it freak you out, he is just developing more rapidly than other children at his age.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 8:40 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• i have heard that your baby could get hernias and hurt themselves if they are not ready to do such things. but he is a strong boy and im always holding him and not forcing him to stand or anything. he pulls himself up to sitting but i hover over him and have guiding hands just in case, i mean he is still wobbly lol
    Arretsmomma5

Comment by Arretsmomma5 (original poster) at 6:05 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Get a johnny jump, he will like it. My son did.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:08 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• You can put him in a walker though if he is that interested in what is going on so he is safe. I did that with my now 2 y/o when she was 10-12 weeks old. She still didn't walk until she was 16 months old.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2011