Bonding with daddy

any tips on how daddy can bond more with DS? DF had to go back to work the second day home and i swear that really threw bonding for a loop. though DF does change diapers, hands DS off to me, and burps and rocks DS, i have noticed that my son is more attached to me. what can we do? what did you do?

Arretsmomma5

Asked by Arretsmomma5 at 5:46 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What you're doing is perfect. Baby is normal. Change NOTHING. Bonding is already fine. Remember, it's merely infant self defense... we bond so we don't EAT them when they wake us up for the 20th time in a night!

Answer by gdiamante at 11:55 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I think it's totally normal for babies to be more attached to the mom who spends the most time with them, so just expect that. It's nice that your DF helps out. Would he enjoy just holding your DS, rocking him to sleep, carrying him around in a sling? I think for some men, bonding becomes easier when the baby gets a little older and can interact more.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 5:49 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• No worries, you are the one with the food! If you are BF you can pump some milk and let Dad feed him. If you are using formula same thing. My dh and our sons had a nightly routine...I took a bath with baby...wrap a small towel around baby..put towel and baby in tub..the towel helps keep him from slipping in your lap and when being taken from the tub. Anyhoo..my dh would take baby from tub and lotion him up, diaper and put his jammies on him..then they spent a few minutes on a blanket on the floor watching football videos!

Don't worry though, there are years of bonding time open to the 2 of them.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Maybe just play with him more. and handle him more.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 8:38 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• My DH loves to take the baby on errands with him. Even the Y or grocery store. It has really helped
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 9:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• thats what we were thinking. ive had more experience with babies and he has had none until our son. he is great at helping out, wheres our son as often as possible, and im encouraging him to be patient. maybe thats all we need is patience. ds looks at me with milk on his mind, he looks at daddy with interest :)
    Arretsmomma5

Comment by Arretsmomma5 (original poster) at 6:12 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• **wears
    Arretsmomma5

Comment by Arretsmomma5 (original poster) at 6:13 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• hahaha @gdiamante. yes yes. the past couple of days DF has been really stepping it up and making more time, we both can see an improvement. our DS is talking to him now and smiling. it is getting easier for him to calm down in daddys arms too. after just two days of more active "bonding" time, i can see the confidence in my DFs eyes. im so proud of him!!
    Arretsmomma5

Comment by Arretsmomma5 (original poster) at 2:47 PM on Mar. 7, 2011