Which is better? A hospital birth or a home birth?

I had a really bad experience with my son's delivery in a hospital. He was delivered c-section, per doctors recommendation, too early and had to spend 8 days in the NICU because his lungs weren't fully developed. I would like to find another option for delivery and would like some advice on home births with a midwife.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

• how about splitting the difference and using a birth center?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:51 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I vote hospitals all the way, but I am a big fan of 1. modern technology 2. not having afterbirth in my home :P There had to have been a reason for such an early delivery. I would ask more questions or get a better doctor. I had to have a crash c-sec withy my son. His heart stopped. I remember there being a gap in time where I didn't know what happened. I just found out on my sons 2nd birthday...my heart stopped too. Had I not been in a hospital that day, we may not have made it. It took several doctors and nurses to get my son out quickly. My husband said from the time I crashed, was rolled into OR, my son being taken out of me, and stapled back up was a total of 13 minutes. Pretty incredible to me.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 5:58 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Home or birth center are normally much safer than hospitals. As long as you are otherwise healthy and the pregnancy is not high risk. Doctors like to push meds and unnecessary poking, prodding, procedures.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:59 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I agree with butterflyblue...........try a birthing center. Or, you can have a midwife in the hospital :). I had troubles with both my kids that would of led to there dying if I'd of home birthed so Im pretty biased.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 6:01 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I'm more fond of hospital births myself. I like having the peace of mind of knowing that there's an OR, doctors, specialists, and medical equipment all around me in case of something bad happening.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 6:03 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• You can still go to the hospital. Just ask for very little intervention. You have the right to say no to things. If I could go back, I'd still do the hospital thing, but not allow the nurses to force me to do things I didn't want to do, like sit in a tub of water right after(ten minutes) I had my son. It was nasty, gross, and I protested many times. I never should have got in that tub. He was in the NICU an hour later and I had no bonding time.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Well my Dad is an OB/GYN and I'm a fan of the old hospital. If something goes wrong, you're where you need to be and having babies is one hell of a dicey business.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:07 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Idk if I would ever want a home birth...I would rather just do at the hospital I mean everything is there.
    Unique11

Answer by Unique11 at 6:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I have had both. I HATED my hospital birth and LOVED my home birth. While I'm glad we live in a time where medical technology can step in when NEEDED, I firmly believe that MOST pregnancies are LOW risk and do NOT need interventions, and in the case of a low risk pregnancy/delivery sometimes the unnecessary interventions lead to even more unnecessary interventions in a domino like effect. This is why our C-section rate keeps rising! With my home birth I had NO tearing and no need for pain meds. I was on my feet and went to church for Easter service within 24 hours of my delivery.
    unique_puzzle

Answer by unique_puzzle at 6:11 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I vote home birth, but that's because of the hospital mortality rates where birthing is concerned. Way too many interventions that are unnecessary. For a normal pregnancy, there's no reason to have a surgeon delivering a baby because they aren't really trained to do an actual natural birth. They are trained for surgical births and complicated pregnancies. Normal pregnancies and births don't excite them or interest them very much, which is why so many push for interventions (like induction when it isn't necessary). It gets you in and out faster and easier for them. I know plenty of people are going to disagree with this and I'll probably be bashed, but this is just my personal take on things.

Since you want to try for a VBAC (or at least that's what I gather from your question), a midwife may be your best bet because many OBs will not do them. Do your research and interview OBs and midwives to find your best option. Good luck!
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:11 PM on Mar. 6, 2011