Biting Baby...what to do?

my 11 month old just started biting! i know that it's because he's teething, not for any other reason. but it hurts! he will bite on to anyone or anything! i've been giving him teething rings, baby tylenol, orajel, and other toys to chew on, we've also been telling him "no" when he bites someone. but nothing seems to be working, my hands and arms are covered in little baby bite marks, he doesn't just bite, he clamps on and bites down as hard as he can and stays locked on until you pull away (that hurts too!) lol. are there any other ideas on how to help his poor little mouth and get him to stop biting?!?

nickellmomof2

Asked by nickellmomof2 at 6:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter bit me once when she was teething she had a few teeth. with out even thinking i bit her back and she never did it again. u could try that? as far as the pain i used the homeopathic pills u can get at walmart or teething babies. worked wonders on my child.
    proudmom611

Answer by proudmom611 at 6:43 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• for teething babies... sorry about my typeo
    proudmom611

Answer by proudmom611 at 6:44 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• try a soft wet wash cloth put in the freezer, also very small amount of ground clove on the gums helps. very small amount. too much and your babies throat tongue and such will go numb. i heard biting back works too. but i wouldnt make a habit of it if your baby thinks its funny when you bite back.. lol
    Arretsmomma5

Answer by Arretsmomma5 at 6:51 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• When my children were nursing, and when they weren't, if they bit me they got a flick on the cheek with a VERY stern NO BITE! from me. I can count on the fingers of one hand, and have leftovers, how many times they each bit me after that. The flick never left a mark and was forceful enough only to get their attention.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:02 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• He doesn't realize that he is hurting you when he bites you, so you will have to show him that it hurts, by biting him back. I know that sounds terrible but that is the only way that he will learn. =(
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 8:36 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I worked in child care for several years and I almost always found that the children were using biting because they need to learn a better way to communicate. Teach your child to use his/her words or point for what they want instead of biting.
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• throw away the orajel makes the gums harder. And like someone else said a slightly frozen cloth helps.
    MamaTrombley

Answer by MamaTrombley at 11:07 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My son does that too and no doesn't seem to work with him either and neither does teething rings, orajel, or tylenol. Its just a phase they go through...I have even tried teething tablets and those don't work well either...
    Alcavin08

Answer by Alcavin08 at 11:07 AM on Mar. 7, 2011