Is Santa Clause coming to town??

I grew up never believing in Santa. Maybe because Im 1 child of 8. and the oldest is about to be 35. So it was never a secret of where our gifts came from. My DH and I dont think we will ever have santa as the gift giver. Our DD is 27 months old and knows what presents are and what not.

We are somewhat confused on what to do this christmas because we dont want her to not have the same Christmas experience as other children she plays with. At the same time we want her to acknowledge that she has a very giving and loving family that give her gifts on Christmas because thats what we do. We do gifts exchanges in the family and the grandparents go nuts on the gift giving.

What do you think? Should we just not mention Santa Clause as the fat guy who comes to town to deliver gifts to all the children under thier christmas trees. I want her to be a child but..... what to do?

nicholelpb

Asked by nicholelpb at 7:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I always did santa because when they go to school kids talk about santa. She might feel like shes being jipped if she knows the other kids get presents from family & santa too. On the other hand you also have to watch she doesnt say there isnt a santa and teach her to go along with the idea of santa if other kids around her to believe. Its ultimately your decision but we always did santa.

Answer by gemgem at 7:59 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• well i'm the same way my son is bout be two next sat. and i wasnt sure. but we figured it out. he gets one gift from santa. and the rest from the family. and us of course. i think that it keep the christmas spirit up. i know it does to me.
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 8:07 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• If you don't want to do Santa - DON'T. Your child misses out on nothing. Christmas time is still incredibly special, and then they know that EVERY SINGLE present they get came from family or friends who love them very much and are willing to spend their money on something to make your child happy.

I didn't grow up with Santa, and won't be doing it for my child either.  It's a personal decision, and trust me when I say that there are enough OTHER special things about the holidays, presents, food, lights, all the special TV shows, family gatherings,  that your child will still be JUST as excited that time of year without believing Santa is real. 

Just discuss, when they're old enough, that other children believe Santa is real, so it's not okay for them to tell other children what they believe is wrong, because everyones' beliefs are different.

RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 8:59 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I don't like lying to my kids....i did santa with my 11 yr old and he told me it is ok to lie cause i did
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:03 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I've never thought of Santa as lying. It's not like telling a child that shots don't hurt, liver tasts good, and babies hatch under cabbage leaves. You aren't lying to get them to do something they don't want to or to protect them.

If you decide to not do the Santa thing, that's fine. The best thing is to just not mention him until your child asks. Then you will have to decide how to handle it - do you care if your child pops that magic bubble for another child or do you try to explain how some parents think the myth is fun and she shouldn't ruin it for the other kids.
    Personally, I think it's a magicaly thing for a child to believe in but I know it's not for everyone. If you decide to do it, Santa can bring just the stocking items and everything else can be from you. No one says Santa has to bring everything.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:17 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• You should have 'big' gifts come from santa and the rest from you guys. Though Santa isn't the real meaning of Christmas, your child should still know about it and be excited about Santa coming to visit. Its not about him thinking the gifts came from you that seems kind of selfish like you want him to know you spent all this money on him instead of the excitement he will get from Santa
    proudmommy.2

Answer by proudmommy.2 at 10:31 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I don't lie to my kids so we don't do Santa. They aren't missing anything and your daughter won't be either.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:42 PM on Nov. 22, 2008