Some one said...

"There is a healthy balance between junk food and health food", This was the mother's excuse to feeding her child badly. There is no balance, junk food is forever damaging. There is no balance for any thing bad (i.e. Smoking, alcohol, fat foods, sun tanning). Every day I treat over weight children. And they are every where when I go out. Do you believe a majority of parents have given up on feeding their children healthy because it is more challenging?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think you have to have a good balance but obviously these parents who are saying they are attempting this feat yet have overweight children have not done it right. If you dont allow them to have any sugar type foods at all then you are damaging them as well.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 6:59 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• So will you never give your children a chocolate chip cookie?
    Yes parents can overdo the junk food and I hate seeing overweight children, but what's wrong with giving the kids a treat once in a while?
    Anonymous

• Maybe for some but I believe food is not the only thing to blame. Video games have taken the place riding bikes and street ball. PE has been cut back to only a couple of days a week instead of daily. Recess has been cut to a min. All of this keeps these occasional 'junk' foods from getting 'worked' off with play.

There is a food balance. You can 'work' a reasonable amount junk off with playing outside and riding a scooter. You can't run off a pack a day. Big difference.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:03 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Wait a second. How do you know she was feeding the child badly? Because if you can't prove it, then your comment is just judgemental and insensetive. Sorry, but food is indeed a little differnt than smoking and alcohol. A chocolate chip cookie or a slice of pizza here and there isn't going to cause obesity and cancer.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:05 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• How could a cookie every once in awhile hurt? Or some candy? ... as long as it's balanced with an active lifestyle I don't see a problem.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 7:07 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Hmm.. so you've never given your child a piece of cake for their birthday? You've never allowed them to attend a birthday party where pizza was the main food prior to the cake?

There is a balance. You can allow your child to attend a birthday party and participate in the feasting without them thinking they can have it all the time.

By the way, neither of my children are overweight. They must eat their fruits and veggies, but the occasional Oreo isn't going to kill them or make them fat. It's a treat to them, not everday fare.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I am all for healthy food, have been a vegetarians for years, but I also know that some occasional junk food is not going to kill you. Everything in moderation is ok.

Answer by older at 7:13 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• i can believe that, it is more expensive to eat healthy sometimesi can easily drop a hundred bucks on just fruits and veggies for a week or two where as if i bought mostly frozen prepackaged stuff i could have spent 100 bucks for a few weeks worth, also junk food can be addicting so it is difficult to give it up. i don't feed my son healthy foods ALL the time like today he had a hotdog, but he had some veggies and half an orange with it too. mostly we eat chicken , fish, sometimes red meat and fresh vegggies and fruit. . . anyway yes i can see why parents do give up.
    raynebowstarz

Answer by raynebowstarz at 7:01 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• There are very good tasting healthy treats. I am ready to quit because I am sick of parents excuses.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:03 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I understand the cost. But there are government programs that give away healthy food to families who can not afford it. And almost every one is accepted.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:06 PM on Mar. 6, 2011