Weight as well as nutition

My baby is 17months old, but since he was very little, hes had trouble gaining weight. what foods would be best to give a toddler , That nutitios as well as will help him gain wieght... I still have him on baby formula, ( Docters orders)

Kimberly71682

Asked by Kimberly71682 at 7:24 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Kim, I think your have done all that you can. Everyone has great ideas and we should try them!

Letstalk747, I dont see how this doesnt make sense to you! The formula has alot of nutrition in it and it fattens up babies thats why they are on it the first year of their lives! Breast milk has way more nutrition than formula, but some moms decide not to go that way or they cant go that way because they dont develop enough milk (like in Kim's case!). The doc said formula because we know that her DS likes it. He doesnt want to give him any supplement nutrition that he isnt going to like and it would be a waste of food and time!

I'm sorry if anyone thinks I am being mean but everyone knows that formula has alot of nutrients in it!

Take it or leave it I don't care...
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Answer by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 12:56 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I would check with the doctor before you give him nuts and that sort of thing. I know with my son they said give him ice cream, peanut butter and things like that.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:42 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Avocado, olive oil
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 7:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Avocado
    Sprinkle ground flax on foods
    Eggs
    Tofu
    Nuts / nut butters
    Coconut oil

Answer by rkoloms at 7:34 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• i would not worry about "fattening" a child.
    i would not add extra dairy...personally, i would not be giving formula at this point either. i would not give pediasure, it is sugar water with stuff added to it.
    i like the first two posters ideas of healthy foods!
    some kids are small. some kids are tall. some kids are thick and some are thin. doctors do not understand growth. all they do is take a few measurements and say, your kid is below average, or your kid is above average. so what?
    if your child is mentally prgressing the way he should, then don't worry mama, if he is not fat!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:53 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• try pedisure it is good
    brownsugur06

Answer by brownsugur06 at 7:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• you can try pedisure, vegetables, fruits my boys were both very small when they were toddlers and the doctors told me as long as they are eating during the day don't worry about them gaining weight

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 6:48 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• happy2bmom25: Pediasure is NOT sugar water. It is just like Ensure but for kids. Pedialyte is more like sugar water.

OP: Ask your child's doctor what he/she suggests. My son was very small for his age and the doc had me give him Pediasure 2 times a day on top of his regular food. He said to give him ice cream, full fat milk. Make sure he ate 6 times a day. Snacks and 3 meals. If your child's doctor is concerned then get the recommendations from them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• if dr. orders formula only at this age , then why hasent he prescribed nutricional supplements to go along with ''formula only '' this dont make sence
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 5:09 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I'm not sure but I will bring that up at his niroligist appt.
    Kimberly71682

Comment by Kimberly71682 (original poster) at 1:57 AM on Mar. 10, 2011