Is there anything wrong with taking away my birds favorite food for a few hours each day?

My bird will eat nothing but seeds all day long. Seeds by themselves are not a complete diet for cockatiels and feeding them alone will can all kinds of health problems. I serve fruits and veggies and beans to my bird every day but I always end up throwing them out at the end of the day, untouched. I was thinking of simply taking the seeds away for about 3 hours in the afternoon and serving only veggies and stuff during this time. Is this cruel? Is it a good idea? Thoughts?

mommytoJames512

Asked by mommytoJames512 at 7:37 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Pets

• I think it is an excellent idea. He isn't getting what he needs when the seeds are there to tempt him.

Answer by Bmat at 7:38 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I would leave the seed. I have a Cockatiel that is 17 years old and besides his seed which he mostly eats just the tiny seeds, I give him millet sprays (long millet on a vine), American cheese, spinach & broccoli. He actually eats everything that we eat too. They can eat anything they like except apricots & avocados which are poisonous to them. I let him out when I am home for exercise too.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:46 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Oh Also, after a bird eats something else, they need the small seeds to aid in digestion. So don't take the seed away.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:07 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• It's a good idea. At first to show the bird that they need to eat something else.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:18 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Sounds good
    Nitestalker

Answer by Nitestalker at 1:24 AM on Mar. 7, 2011