Why is this ok?

Im not a dr and Im NOT bashing. My nephew is 5 and weighs 70lbs. His dr says that his parents are tall and that its ok( his mom is 5'6 and his dad is 5'11). Really? The kid has asthma and a barell chest. He cant jump or run a few feet without being out of breath. I love him but there is nothing I can do to stop this. His mom lets him have 6 pieces of sausage and a waffle LOADED with whipped cream for breakfast, chicken fingers COVERED in honey mustard for lunch and God knows what for dinner. I only know most of this b/c we own a restaurant and I see how he eats on a regular basis. She says that when shes not working he will eat up to 5 sausage patties with cheese from McDonalds for breakfast! I know there is not much I can do in this specific issue but why is it okay for parents to feed their kids so badly and rish their health?? Why is it ok to let your child develop juvenile diabetes? Im not trying to sound harsh and know that junk food is okay in MODERATION. Why is the word MODERATION so hard to comprehend for some parents?? TIA!

Ps...Weight issues are not in his makeup. He was a healthy child until his parents got lazy and gave him what was quick and easy. I dont get it. He loves grilled chicken and veggies but is NEVER given the option!

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 7:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Kids' Health

• This is basically my neighbor's kid. He's 5 this month and 70 lbs. His mom says "he takes in too many calories,that's his problem" Ya,you think?! I told her to stop buying junk food. Its not like he can go buy it himself! She pulls that excuse of that its ok because he's young yet. Bah! he weighsmore than my 9 year old! She has to buy him sweatpants only and have grandma hem them because he's a size 10/12! I think these parents think the kid will magically become not fat somehow. Ridiculous!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:49 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Kids can't develop gestational diabetes. Only pregnant women can.
    Anonymous

• Have you said anything to them? Or be sneaky about it? Invite them to dinner, and make healthy stuff and see if he eats it and then say something like, "You really liked those veggies huh?" Then maybe talk to his parents later about it.

Maybe switch it around so it sounds like you're trying to help your kids, but get her family involved as well. "We're trying to get our kids up and moving around more, do you think little johnny would like to participate and go for a walk with us next week?"
    Anonymous

• It's not OK. I am sure the Dr. is well meaning and hoping the kiddo will grow into the weight. However the Dr. cannot possibly know how bad the diet is either.

The only hope now is a diet detox (fruit, veggies, skim milk) and a lot of classes/activity (swim class, gymnastics, etc)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:45 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I can't imagine why any "GOOD" doctor would say this. His parents are setting him up for all kinds of help problems. Not to mention the picking he will have to take from other kids at school. Poor little guy.
    Momto2beauties

Answer by Momto2beauties at 7:49 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• lol I meant to write juvenial! thanks!!
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 7:41 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

I completely agree and have tried everything. When he eats over he loves good healthy food. His mom ever brags about his love for healthy food! His grandmom tried to sign him up for tball and he said no. Instead of his mother getting him involved shed rather him sit at home an watch tv so she can do her own thing. Its sad!
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 7:49 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• That sounds like the kind of junk I eat, lol.  In my own household, no, that is not okay.  I eat abunch of junk because I'm an adult and that's what I choose to do.  My children have growing bodies who need nourishment, therefore they have to eat more of the good stuff.  I believe in moderation also.  They eat the good stuff, they eat the junk.  I had a situation this morning where my friend called me complaining YET AGAIN that her 3 year old won't eat anything other than cereal and chips.  This is an everyday thing, the complaining and the horrible eating.  Ridiculous.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 7:49 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Oh and this friend also says the Dr. says the 3 year old is fine.  Um, yeah.  Because she is REALLY telling the Dr. what she is feeding her.  Sorry, kind of went on a rant, I just feel where your coming from.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 7:51 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• However the Dr. cannot possibly know how bad the diet is either.

Sooo True!! However that weight is not ok no matter what. JMO. I weighed that much in 7th grade. Im sure the dr thinks he'll grow out of it but he should have pushed other alternatives. He did say to get him active but did not say to change his eating habits. I know he doesnt know his diet for sure but I feel he should have asked. Who knows? Maybe he did and she lied? Its a lose lose situation
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 7:51 PM on Mar. 6, 2011