How do I dicipline my child with asbergers syndrome

he has been diagnose. I have no idea what to do. I'm scared

crystalanddavid

Asked by crystalanddavid at 8:07 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Health

• What is asberg syndrome?
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 8:12 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• relax!!! An aspergers child is still trainable!! Kids like this need very clear boundaries, & need to know the consequences up front " Tom if you hit the cat you have to sit on the step for 10 minutes" Don't bother explaining about feelings blah blah, cos he just won't get it. You have said his age. If he is old enough to comprehend make a basic wall chart with naughty things & the punishment next to it so he knows what to expect - Swearing ( or a picture of a kid with a #@*# speech bubble) - no TV or pic of TV with a big red cross through it.
    Also be aware of the difference between deliberately rude or naughty & accidently getting it wrong. Asppy kids have no social graces. They will tell Grandma she is fat ... because she is. It is a statement. They will do stuff that seems naughty but is actually curiosity, so be wary of punishing for accidental behaviours. Good luck, add me as a friend if u like, I have a 16 yr old asp son
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 8:13 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• have NOT said age - sorry typo
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 8:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Dont be scared!! Now that you know what he has you can learn about it and understand why he does the things he does. You have a very special child hunny embrace it dont be scared :)

lil_momma_vdv

Answer by lil_momma_vdv at 8:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2011