blood preasure

can some one fill me in on the ins and outs of high blood preasure. Got prescibed meds today for mine today it was 150/105. No one in my family has high blood presure, I eat healthy and excercise at the gym 3-5 times a week...I'm kind of at a loss as to how to deal with this or what are the sighns its high and at what point do I need to seek medical attention(as in the er) for it. Any advice would be healpful.

electricblue

Asked by electricblue at 10:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Health

• Normal BP is 120/80 or as they would say "120 over 80".
    Yours is pretty high.
    You should ask your Doctor at what point should you call or go to the ER.
    Anonymous

• I have been on blood pressure meds for 8 yrs. If i new what i know now i would of did holistic measures to the full extent before taking the meds. I will probably never get off of it. My worst pressure was 180/110 and i had that reading for a year. I contantly had head and neck pain. My feet and hands swelled. I was also approx. 300lbs then. I lost almost half my weight and meds decreased but my body is dependent on the meds. See a holistic doctor. Research on the internet. Spend the money to heal yourself naturally. I wish i did that. My doctor told me you can live about 40 yrs on blood pressure meds. Why are they telling me this after almost 10 yrs on the meds. Safe journey and do your hw.
    mushyb

Answer by mushyb at 10:36 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I've had the same problem since my son was born a year ago. My doc told me that loosing a huge amount of weight. (BTW way to go mushyb!!!)is basically the only thing you can really do. Unless you have alot of weight to loose you may have to continue taking meds. I only take a water pill and its completely taken care of it for 9 months now. They should keep rechecking you to see if it's high over time. I also bought a monitor to check my self at home (70/109 tonight thank you). It was about $25 online.
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 10:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• High Blood Pressure
    Many people have high blood pressure for years without knowing it. Uncontrolled high blood pressure can lead to stroke, heart attack, congestive heart ...
    www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=2114 -
    Excercise and reg weight or no guarentee you wont suffer from high blood pressure. Take your meds even if you feel OK.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• High blood pressure is the silent killer. I take a yoga class for relaxation. It has helped lower mine. There are others in there too that it has helped. I think possibly it teaches us relation and deep breathing. I also take a supplement with passion flower..that naturally calms.

BUT me and my mother both suffer from the white coat syndrome. When you go to the Dr. and it makes you nervous and raises blood pressure. Get yourself a monitor for at home.

Eat healthy, continue your work outs, and practice relaxation.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I don't know what caused mine about three weeks ago i finally went to the Dr after feelin bad, vomiting,chest pains ,I lost 38lbs in 6wks well anyway my bp was 194/124 My DR put me on meds I went back last week it was 90/50 so now I only take half a pill sometimes I don't feel I even need to take one
    bunco

Answer by bunco at 12:32 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I would hope the doctors office did more than just one reading. They are suppose to do three seperate readings on three different days. Then if your BP is still high meds can be considered. They can't say you have chronic high BP with just one reading. There could be many reasons why your BP would spike like that but it doesn't mean you need to be put on meds.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 2:43 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I have been takin blood pressure meds for about a yr . I am a plus size woman and I eat pretty healthy,there are alot of factors and I believe that stress is my biggest issue besides my weight. Take the meds, continue your excercise regimen, and if stress is an issue try and relax. That is my goal in life , learn to relax more and stress less.
    Supermom253

Answer by Supermom253 at 1:53 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• If you would like to know how to get a natural supplement to lower BP without the bad side effects with prescription medicines PM me so we can talk. I would be glad to talk with you.

MentorByDesign

Answer by MentorByDesign at 2:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2008