Do they honestly think we're really that stupid?

got an email from a fake pay-pal company saying someone had hacked into my account from a different computer and it was failed because they didn't use the right passwords. And would I please enter my passwords, as well as my bank info, credit cards and addresses? Do people really fall for this crap? For starters the address was PaypaI.com and I don't use that email address for my account, so that tipped me off, and they didn't address me by name. It was pretty obvious it was fake, but they had all the right color logos and headings. And I would think we all know not to give out that kind of info in an email. But then again people fall for those Nigerian scams all the time too.

luvschocolate

Asked by luvschocolate at 8:11 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Did you forward the email to PayPal? If you still have it, do that. They keep track of them and try to put a stop to them. I've gotten them before and that's what I've done.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• It costs almost nothing to create an email scam; all they need is for a couple people to fall for it, and they've made a profit.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Oh yes, people fall for it or the scammers wouldn't keep doing it! Think about it...if just 1% of people fell for, and the scammer sent out 1000 of these e-mails per day, that's 10 accounts they've hacked just that day. Multiply that by 365 days per year, and that's a lot of hacking! I hate those arseholes. I've been on the internet long enough to know most of the tricks, but there are plenty of younger people as well as old folks who aren't as savvy and end up getting screwed. It's a shame.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• A few years ago, I had someone IM in AIM trying to get account info for AOL. You would think that people aren't that dumb, but some people are. (I hate to say that)
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I wouldn't fall for that, i use a prepaid debit for paypal anyway.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 8:27 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• It's sad, because some folks believe it. Not everyone knows how screwed up people over the net can be until it's too late.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 8:28 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• It sort of like the warnings on hairdryers and toaster "Don't use this appliance in or near water"..you know they put that because some dork at one time or another actually did it. I say lose the warnings and strengthen the gene pool.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:12 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• It must work because they are still doing it. I don't understand how people can fall for it either, but they do.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:49 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• OHHHHHHHH MY GOODNESS I HAD AN ORDER TODAY FOR 9 BOTTLES OF PERFUME, BUT THEY LIVED IN FLORIDA AND WANTED TO MAIL ME A CERTIFIED CHECK, REALLY?!!!!!!!!! PEOPLE THAT IS CALLED A SCAM , WE HAVE ONLINE ORDERING WITH DIRECT DELIVERY........I SELL MAKE UP N STUFF , GO SCAM SOMEONE ELSE!
    justgg

Answer by justgg at 5:15 PM on Mar. 8, 2011