Something I saw at the grocery today (vent)

I was at the grocery today and saw something a bit disturbing. We were checking out and two lanes over was a mom and her daughter (I assume) who appeared about 9 or 10 years old. The girl was quite a bit overweight, which normally I wouldn't pay any attention to. But then she turned around and her poor jeans were so small that her butt crack was sticking out. Her shirt was so short you could see her belly hanging out underneath. And then I noticed she was eating a large bag of flaming hot Cheetos and drinking a Pepsi...in the checkout line. Even DH noticed.
I felt really bad for this poor girl. Her clothes did not fit her properly. She's already overweight, and her eating habits are terrible (no fault of her own I'm sure). A bag of those chips plus a 20 ounce soda is at least 600-700 calories. I can imagine that she gets teased at school, and if she doesn't yet, she just might. I'm sure this will be a lifelong issue for her. I just felt bad for her b/c she probably has no idea what it all means.
Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not opposed to snacks and soda in moderation, but come on. (And before you ask, no I'm not a stick skinny model...lol. We don't eat just healthy food, we do have some snacks and what most people would consider junk. BUT, I'm very conscious of the amount of junk my child eats, and if he had a weight problem, I sure wouldn't be giving him a whole bag of cheetos and a pepsi).

I obviously didn't say anything b/c it's not any of my concern what she does, but it just made me frustrated. Have you ever seen anything like this that just made you shake your head?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I actually see alot of skinny people eating "junk" food, too . . . I notice, though, that the criticism usually only comes if someone is overweight. Since you can't see the condition of the heart of blood vessels, we don't tend to judge on that, or else we would probably be sickened when someone who has high cholesterol eats any sugar or processed food.

There is a ton of disrimination against people who are overweight, so I tend to keep that in mind when I start judging.

It bothers me more when I am out in public and the moms are not paying attention to their kids . . . letting them bully other kids on the playground, etc.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:24 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I had a neighbor with a 4 yr old girl that weighed 90 lb. She would let dd eat a whole box of cookies for afternoon snack and didn't make her eat dinner because child wasn't hungry. I tried to talk to mom, but she just didn't get it. I only offered suggestions until I realized mom wasn't going to listen. I finally gave up.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 8:27 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I tend to try not to judge people based on weight because I realize it's a very difficult and individual struggle that is influenced by a multitude of factors. I am not one who can eat what I want when I want, but my DH is, so we ha I guess the main issue was that a) her clothes did not even fit her properly and b) it's never a good idea for a child that age to be eating a large bag of cheetos and drinking a 20-ounce Pepsi (in the checkout aisle). What purpose would it serve? It was lunchtime so I can assume the girl may have been hungry, but I can think of a hundred things that would have been a better choice.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:44 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I would have been upset over the fact that her clothes did not even fit her. It upsets me when I see things like that or if it is snowing outside and a child has no coat or hat on, that upsets me as well.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 8:51 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I understand your concern, my nephew is 7 yrs old and extremely overweight and it seems like DH and I are the only ones who think its a problem, even though he can barely run without gasping. He can eat 12 pancakes for breakfast and no-one says "no" to him. I would be sad that her clothes didn't fit, but I also see lots of young girls who chose to wear tiny shirts and tight tight tight jeans with a muffin top spilling over the waist band. Perhaps it is her choice to wear that. Not everyone understands about good food choices, you can only hope her school is committed to teaching kids about good nutrition so she can have some education about it.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 8:52 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I see what you are saying, anon. But, the weight of the girl wouldn't bother me as much as the Cheetos and the Soda, which I feel are innapropriate foods for kids, anyway . . . . I don't like to see adults drinking sugar colas either . . . . such a large dose of empty calories. And, children should not be allowed to drink caffiene, anyhow.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:36 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I see it a lot as well...and I'm no fitness/healthy eating guru in my home either....a good balance is what we get...and that sometimes includes chips with a sandwich or fries with a hot dog....but I get your frustration, I'd have felt awful for the little girl as well =(
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:17 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Yes, I see stuff like that all the time. That's America, baby!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:24 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I totally agree with ImaginationMama

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:45 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• That would bother me too. Her weight is a concern, not just the junk food she was eating.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 9:58 AM on Mar. 7, 2011