Are you going to boycott Kid Rock?

Detroit — Some NAACP supporters plan to boycott the Detroit arm's annual fundraiser over an honor for Kid Rock they say doesn't mesh with the civil rights group's goals.

The rocker is set to receive the Detroit branch's Great Expectations Award at the annual dinner, which typically attracts about 10,000 people, on May 1 at Cobo Center.

But Adolph Mongo, a longtime political consultant and head of Detroiters for Progress, said he and others will sit out over Kid Rock's use of the controversial Confederate flag during performances.

"It's a slap in the face for anyone who fought for civil rights in this country," Mongo said Thursday. "It's a symbol of hatred and bigotry."

NAACP officials defended the honor.

"Kid Rock ... has consistently lifted up the Great Expectations of many persons … concerning the future of the city," Donnell R. White, interim executive director of the Detroit Branch NAACP, said in a statement.

Kid Rock and his representatives couldn't be reached. But in a 2008 interview with the Guardian in Britain, he said the flag to him represents southern rock 'n' roll.

http://detnews.com/article/20110304/METRO/103040360/Kid-Rock-s-use-of-Confederate-flag-sparks-NAACP-boycott#ixzz1FsAJrre4

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 8:24 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't do boycotts and I have nothing against the Confederate Flag. It's part of my Southern heritage. I cannot control the fact that morons (aka the Klan) have taken our flag and perverted it.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:28 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Personally, I dislike Kid Rock anyways, but I don't see the problem with the Confederate flag. It's not a symbol of hatred or bigotry. The Civil War wasn't just about slavery and Southern States weren't the only racist places. The Confederate flag to many, like Kid Rock, represents Southern rock, southern heritage, and southern pride. I hate that others think it is a symbol of hatred. It was the flag for The Confederate States of America, not racism. Now if he sported a Nazi armband,
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:38 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• that would be a different story.
    mommy_jules

• you know what is SUCH a shame?/ That a group that COULD and SHOULD be doing the works and spreading the messages that could truly help with the major issues afflicting the African American community (poverty level, education level, ect ect ect) chooses to concentrate over and over on this silliness. It's kinda like PETA. At this point they aren't much more than a joke.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:01 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I boycotted him a long time ago because his music sucks.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:06 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I can't boycott something that has no role in my life. He wouldn't miss my non-participation in his audience, because I wouldn't be attending, no matter what cause he did or didn't choose to uphold. 

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:10 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• eh, not a fan in the first place..and otherwise, i'm hanging with spiritedwitch..its part of my southern heritage, its a real flag from history..and not my problem that idiots use it for their own negative use. (anything can be used positively or negatively.)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I didn't know he was still doing stuff.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:53 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I like 2 of his songs and I will continue to sing along when they come on the radio. That's as far as I've ever gone and I don't expect it to change.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 10:05 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I am not a fan of the Confederate flag and do find it hurtful and harmful. I do like Kid Rock's music but can't support the flag he chooses to wear and display. It is his right. I can listen to his music an enjoy it when I hear his songs on the radio but I am not going to go to his concerts or buy his music. 

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2011