DD won't let me teach her!! I don't know what to do!

I have this fear that with the public school system being as bad as it is that if i don't send my dd into kindergarten with the right tools she is going to fall behind. I am trying really hard to practice reading and writingand well everything with her but she just gets frustrated and wants to stop after like 5 minutes...I don't want to push her because i am afraid that will make her not like learning ever. I feel like i have tried everything...I usually try to make it into a game and its like she KNOWS its not a game and doesn't want to do it. Anyone have this problem that can give me some advice? oh and dd is 4 she will start school this September

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• research the net for different games? or start painting and then paint an A and say can you paint this too? ...i wouldn't stress too much about it ...just do it a little at a time several times a day maybe?
    raynebowstarz

Answer by raynebowstarz at 8:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I'm in the same boat, but my Son isn't 4 yet. He loves to learn, but gets easily frustrated and doesn't want to spend much time on things. I'm hoping it'll change before He starts preschool, since He is still young and easily distracted.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 8:35 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• While teaching my young ones, ages 2 throughout school age, I mostly played games with them and only for short amounts of time. Not all public schools are bad. I stayed very involved, I reinforced what they learned and added what I thought might be lacking.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 8:41 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Children often feel like they can't do it right and don't want parents to be mad at them. Even if you aren't "mad" they can feel your frustration! Kids are very in tune to parents feelings. Make things more like play! Try some different type of games so that she doesn't see through it! Have her write words on a shopping list of things she wants you to get at a store. Buy a really easy workbook for her to build her confidence! When you're in the market have her "find" items for you and spelling letters from can labels. Have her find letters on signs while you're driving. The more fun it is, the more she doesn't feel like she's learning. Don't worry, most of all! The most important thing for her to have in kindergarten are good listening skills, social skills and ability to follow instruction.
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 3:41 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• start spelling 3-letter words with her out loud, then ask her to copy words you write...if it's nice out where you live tell her will take her to the park or out for icecream, something you can feel good about giving her.....
    JazzyJes

Answer by JazzyJes at 11:05 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Do they not have free tutoring at her school? it does wonders for my daughter and less frustration for me, or else makeit super fun maybe comic books to read or whatever
    stella73

Answer by stella73 at 4:57 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• When you have had enough, of the PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM.......

When you want to enroll her into a private school.

Plz, contact me.
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 3:33 AM on Mar. 9, 2011