Question about premies?

If the baby is born early do you still consider its age the same as a non premie baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in General Parenting

• yes i was born 3 months early and wieghted 4lbs i would
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 8:16 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Its age is, but you go by developmental age up til the age of 2. So if a child is born 2 months early and is 4 months from his birth day, you would consider him developmentally the same as a 2 month old.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:25 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Yes. After the months turn into years, it all adds up and the child catches up. My son was born at 29 weeks gestation, spent 6 weeks in NICU, and came home weighing 4lbs, 12 oz. He is now 14 years old, and will be 15 in December. Any questions? Come look at my page--his name is Gregory.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 8:26 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Both of my sons were premes.my oldest is 15 months old and my youngest is 4 weeks old today, so yes i think you i would
    joni574

Answer by joni574 at 8:37 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• yeah all 3 of mine were preemies and i counted the same as non preemie.
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 8:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• You go by chronological age but early on, you go by developmental age. This has more to do with when to administer vaccines, should you choose to do so, and to monitor developmental milestones. At some point, most preemies catch up so you go by chronological age only.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Nov. 22, 2008