How do you get a picky eater to try new things?

Do you have any great tips for picky eaters?

Kristin_Z

Asked by Kristin_Z at 8:42 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• Bribery. I wouldn't recommend punishment for not trying new things, but you could offer a reward. Pick two or three new things for your kid to try, then allow him/her to choose which one he/she will try for a small reward (extra TV or computer time, trip to the dollar store for a toy). You'll have to decide ahead of time what constitutes "trying," such as a minimum of 3 bites or half of a serving. Start with things that aren't too outrageous, and try to make them somewhat similar to things they already like. You can work up to more exotic things if this works.
    Trekkie

Answer by Trekkie at 9:02 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• nothing has worked for us :(
    cecyh9

Answer by cecyh9 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Here's a great article on help for picky eaters with some tips for you:
    http://www.helpmealison.com/picky-eaters.html
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 3:34 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I always used the "no thank you bite" teqnique on my children and it worked awesome. Just tell them that any new food deserves a no thank you bite, which is a little bite to prove that they really dont like it. And if they didnt, then I wouldnt make them eat more of it.
    LocaMariposa

Answer by LocaMariposa at 1:41 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• the no thank you thing...
    the wonderful women that work at special education where my daughter goes suggested a

No Thank You 'mat' (laminated platemat)
    place a variety of foods on her plate, if she does not want one, or even try it, then she must take the food and place it on the no thank you mat, this way she has to have some contact with the food, she touches it, may get some on fingers, etc

child can have her choice as not to eat, but does have some exposure to it with touch, possiblely smell

my daughter is very picky eater, but hasgotten a bit better at trying one bite (maybe 50%), not all the time, but if she takes a taste, she no longer spits it out - it is progress

having a bigger kid, that will eat it next to younger child may help too, every little child wants to be like the big kids

also, if i am eating it, and just me alone, better chance that she will want to try it
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:45 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My daughter has gotten better at trying new things since I've included her in the cooking process. Don't make a whole meal of new stuff. Just one thing your child has never tried before to go along with some tested favorites. Even if you kid has already tried the food and doesn't like it, keep putting it on their plate. Doctors say all the time when introducing new foods to babies it may take 10-15 tries to get your baby to eat it. I think the same is true for toddlers.
    lvaughn26

Answer by lvaughn26 at 8:54 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My youngest child is strangely picky (won't eat pasta and only 1 type of cheese but will eat his veggies) so when we have something that he doesn't like we start by insisting that a small amount stay on his plate. Then after a few times we do the "no thank you bite." It hasn't really worked for most things. But he does eat veggies, so I can always count on him eating a salad with his pb & j.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:21 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I remind her of Green Eggs and Ham, and tell her that if she doesn't like it she doesn't have to eat more. And of course bribe with ice cream:)
    al2011

Answer by al2011 at 11:00 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• well my son doesnt talk yet so whatever i give him eats but i say just be honest with them say do you want to be strong & grow up like mommy & daddy then if you eat this & if you eat it all it you can get a price or a treat that you like
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 11:35 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I have my son takes 3 bites of everything. Many times I will hear how delicious it is. Other times he will stick with disgusting. Doesn't matter to me as long as he tries it.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:30 PM on Mar. 8, 2011